Should Juveniles Be Tried as Adults? | Teen Ink

Should Juveniles Be Tried as Adults?

By CEWritingManiac GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
CEWritingManiac GOLD, Marietta, Georgia

" In three words I can sum up everything i've learned about life: It goes on." - Robert Frost

Juveniles are any person under the age of 18. Then why are juveniles tried as adults in certain cases? “Why is it OK to execute harsh forms of punishment s on them in the same way as that done for adults?”(Doc. B) Juveniles shouldn’t be tried as adults since they are , in a way, undeveloped. “.. When they have no responsibilities , and mature or responsible behavior(like supporting a family) is not expected from them ( because they lack that power to understand the consequences of their actions and delay their needs) it is considered unfair to treat them in the same manner as that of an adult.”(Doc. B) Also putting juveniles in an adult position at certain cases it puts them in a perspective where they can’t be “themselves” anymore and are more likely to cause more trouble later on. It is proven that “ Juveniles tried and convicted as adults are 32% more likely to commit another crime in the future than juveniles tried and adjudicated delinquent for similar for serious crimes in the juvenile justice system.” (Doc. D)

On the other hand, kids are kids right? Wrong. “Juvenile court has been established with the age factor rather than focusing on the crime factor.”(Doc. E) “ It is also argued that juvenile courts do not aim to punish, but are put in place to merely guide and treat. This, they say, does not serve any purpose, because this in no way guarantees that no crimes are committed henceforth.”(Doc. E) It’s also another thing. People are starting to think that “ Oh they are just a kid they can’t have the cruel punishment of being tried as an adult.” The thing is a crime is a crime no matter the age. “It does not mean that because it was a child who committed the crime, the family of the victim does not continue to suffer.”(Doc. E)  “ The other reason it is  considered OK for juveniles to be tried as adults is that it’ll not only make them understand the consequences of their actions, but also deter them from committing any further crimes, knowing fully well that they are not given any special consideration because of their age factor.”(Doc. E)