Still Not Colorblind | Teen Ink

Still Not Colorblind MAG

By Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina
Aaron S. BRONZE, Zebulon, North Carolina

I often heard about the presidential election on the news. You probably did too, if you expose yourself at all to the sickly sun of the American media. Journalists, reporters, and every other member of the information army practically wet themselves with exultation at the election of the United States’ first African-American president. And so have American citizens. There are still “Obama ’08” signs in yards, on cars, bridges, babies, and anything else that can be decorated with that godly O – his supporters still have that smug smirk glued like a bumper sticker across their faces.

Reading this, you might come to the conclusion that I am a rabid racist and torch-waving conservative, but hear me out! I am not a racist – in fact, I am almost certainly more colorblind than you, Obamanite. Barack Obama is now America’s first black president. You may say “Hooray!” but I say “So what?” You might tout his victory as a sign that racism is dead, and equal opportunity is, if not here, then well on its way. I disagree.

Racism is discrimination. Discrimination is not simply the act of deriding or oppressing a particular race. I believe it is any emphasis of racial differences. If a caucasian sees himself as “white” and identifies with others of his skin tone to form a coalition promoting his race, this is racist. By this logic, pro-black coalitions are racist too. And those who vaunt Obama’s presidency as a victory for African-American people are included.

In my experience, modern society is not discriminatory in its presentation of opportunity. There are black CEOs; there are white hobos; there are ­members of every race in every position. It’s the beauty of America! And yet still some insist on highlighting Obama’s victory as something strange and wonderful. Not only is it an insult to the American spirit to be fascinated by a black president, it’s an insult to those who have fought for this spirit.

The proper response to Obama’s election should have been: “We have a new president. Will he do a good job?” It is foolish to think that just because Obama is black, he will do a good job. Those who share my opinion see Obama not as racial crusader in shining armor, but as a politician whose ­actions must be analyzed logically. In short, the fact that America still ­perceives races as “different” is shameful. In a land of equal opportunity, the best will win – and the best has been chosen.

Celebrating Obama’s victory in a racial context is simply celebrating past racial divides. The election was not a victory for African-Americans, but a victory for all Americans.

Miara GOLD said...
Miara GOLD, Ottumwa, Iowa

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
Dying is a day worth living for.
The problem with being the last of anything is by and by there be none left.

I agree.  I also think it's ironic that people call me racist because I don't like Obama, while they hate my race.

silverbookslayer GOLD, Upper Marlboro, Maryland

"To know my deed, t'were best not to know myself"-Macbeth

why do we care that you are mixed, your complexion, or how you are perceived?? (I'm sorry for this sounding so hostile I don't mean it to be i'm just trying to understand the purpose of that statement.  Thank you.)

Jenna4Jesus BRONZE, New Brunswick, North Carolina
lol thanx. :) I'm pretty into politics (probably more than I should be) and I think I can say that I know enough to despise his politics. Sorry, I shouldn't have attacked him though. I just really hate this beliefs and lack of moral standards which I will obviously link to him.

dsp6594 said...
I SO agree with you! Race has NOTHING to do with it. The person elected as president should be the person who is best for the job regardless of his (or her) race, religion, gender, or oany other personal traits. (I don't think traits is a good word to use, but you know what I mean!) (:

dsp6594 said...
lol I don't think you're racist (and I am black). It's ok to think that someone is stupid or immoral because a lot of people are; however, I'm not agreeing with you that Obama is one of these people. This isn't because I like Obama, but instead because I don't know enough about him to have an opinion (I'm not really into politics).

dsp6594 said...

OMG! I love you right now for saying this!! I am mixed and I have light brown skin (however I'm usually just viewed as "black") and I don't like how everyone is making such a big deal about Obama being black. I understand that he's the first black president of America and all and that was exciting for about an hour on the night the votes were counted, but now it's old. I personally didn't know much about either candidate, so I couldn't pass my judgements.

One thing that you mentioned is that people think that now that we have a black president, racism and discrimination is gone. Not only do I agree to dissagree with this statement, but I think that rasicm has gotten worse since his election. I've heard people saying how they wish he was assasinated. One of the students at my school even said that she would want a black person to be the assasin. THAT is racism. I don't care who it is, you don't say that about anyone. How could someone actually wish death on someone they have never met. I am saying this to defend Obama right now, but if McCain was president, I would say the same thing. We're all human.

We shouldn't take advantage of our ability to see the beautiful colors that God created for us!

EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

When you've lost it all.......That's when you finally realize.....That life is BEAUTIFUL

I agree with you. Obama shouldn't be noted for being a black president, but for what he does in office.

Sadly, it seems in the south that many bash him simply for being black. I watched the inaguration in school. Most of the kids made up lies, such as him being a terrorist. I want to just out of my chair and rip their heads off.

lunar_moon BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"If you think you can you can, and if you think you can't, you're right." -Mary Kay Ash

This is a powerfully writen peice of work, but a do slightly agree with lesliej94. Your point on the journalists was a little exagerated.

Although, I do not agree that Obama has been a great President so far.

amaranth178 said...
amaranth178, Washington, District Of Columbia
I agree with the fact that, yes, he is 'black' and 'white', and if  acknowledged in terms of race, he should be considered as such. This is not a bad thing at all--I myself am proud of being mixed (hence my stance, huh?). I also agree with the idea that he, as President, should be judged on his political actions as opposed to his ethnic affiliation, but one must also acknowledge the fact that many African Americans feel a sort of pride because they never anticipated the presence of a 'black' American president, given their own racial experiences.

lesliej94 BRONZE, Harrisonville, Missouri

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..it's about learning to dance in the rain"...
"Your 20's are for you to have fun, your 30's are for you to learn the lesson's and your 40's is for you to pay for the drinks"~Sex and the City

Woah now..let's calm down, I personally think President Obama is a great president black OR white. You might want to calm down on the journalist stab.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

very convincing, and well written! nice job!

OH WORD. This is was the most racist election in history!! Whenever I'm like Obama is stupid and horribly immoral, all anyone can say in defense of him is "O.M.G. You're racist." What thee??? thanx for wording it. 5 stars!! I'm putting this in my favorites..

Shinystarly said...

I'm left to wonder what you mean by "we" at the beginning of your comment. Surely, you don't mean that you, yourself, were whipped and are over 300 years old. If so, please go ahead with your comment, but if that is not the case, claiming that "we" were whipped and beaten, is taking credit for a hardship you had nothing to do with.

I believe the article is very open-minded, and it is you who has shut yourself off. You have assumed that just because the writer brings up the fact that Obama is black, it is an insult to the African-American race. Take a step back, and allow people to have their own opinions. The writer is trying to point out that recognizing Obama as "that black president" is two steps back, in a a society that can barely take one step forward.

kysh15 said...
kysh15, Edmonds, Washington
I agree completly!!!

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

I agree completely. It often annoys me how people often voted for Obama because of his colour, instead of his policies.

Soft_spoken GOLD, Houston, Texas

if your feelings go away its not love
if that person
leaves an imprint on your heart that was love
only once
only one guy left a imprint on my heart like that i love him still -BY ME BRITTANY JENELLE

I agree no one thinks that bill is weird is un constitutional im black and people follow Obama like he is a God he is BLACK AND WHITE not just black

the bill even say everyone has to get insurance or there will be penalties

Americans cannot put all there trust in the Government or they will have total control

. said...
ooh I like the last sentence...

taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

I really like your perspective on Obama being elected president - you have a good point, one that I often use myself.

The way you presented your arguement was also flawless and the whole artible flowed like a powerful river like that our ancestors generations ago would have relied on.

Anoma21 said...
While I'm not sure what your political views are as you never expressed them in the article, i will start by saying that i am a liberal/democrat and would've voted for Obama if I was of age. That being said, i agree with many of your points. It insults my political intelligence to parade Obamas victory as a racial victory when there is so much more importance to it than that. I didn't see nearly as many people expressing their joy about, say, the bans of stem-cell research being lifted or steps being taken to improve the medical service than the numerous headlines solely broadcasting the fact that he was black. It angered me and i hope I'm not alone. I would like to add that it makes me happy to see that America did elect a black person but that shouldn't have been the focal point.

scribblesinthecity BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

'Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.' -- George Santayana

but heres the thing: look at the average high-end college in america (like Harvard for example), how many African-american students do you see? not many, or at least much less that the number of white students. the percentage of African American college enrollment is still much much lower that that of white Americans (im pretty sure its about 12% for black people, 75 % for whites. but i cant say those are the exact numbers). So in a way, im sure many black kids look at colleges like Harvard and Yale and see them as all-white colleges, even though it may not say it in there title. many prestigious colleges are close to being all white, so why not have an all black college as well? and by the way, i know of many all black colleges that aren't literally all-black; they can (and do) enroll white (or any other race) students, its just that the schools are predominately black. but whats wrong with a few predominately black colleges if the average colleges are predominately white? (sorry to be repetitive).