Unnoticed | Teen Ink

Unnoticed

July 2, 2016
By miaH.505 PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico
miaH.505 PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico
33 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love doesn't expire. It doesn’t just go away. And if it does then that wasn’t love at all.


September 11, 2001 is the day that 2,977 innocent people were killed.

Fast forward twelve years and here our hearts break yet again for the people killed by the rage of a monster in a human’s body, but this time not in a skyscraper, but a movie theatre. The colorado movie theatre shooting took place on July 20, 2012.

December 14, 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School 20 children between the ages of 6 and 7 were murdered along with 6 staff members.

Our hearts broke as we hopelessly watched the breaking news of the Boston bombings on April 15, 2013 when 3 innocent people were killed and over 260 injured.

Jaws dropped and heads shook as we learned the events that took place at Fort Hood on April 2, 2014 leaving four brave soldiers dead.

Understanding was far from our minds the day of the Colorado Springs planned parenthood shooting resulting in the death of 2 innocent civilians.

We started a trend on December 2, 2015 #prayforsanbernadino

which later turned into #prayforparis on November 13, 2015 where 130 innocent people were murdered,

then it was #prayforbrussels on March 22, 2016, 32 people dead,

next was #prayforchristinagrimie who was murdered at the hand of a gunman at the age of 22 on June 11, 2016,

and then #prayfororlando trended on June 12, 2016, not even 24 hours after the death of Christina Grimmie, when the largest mass shooting in United States history took place.

next, but surely not to be the last was #prayforturkey, 41 were people murdered on June 29, 2016.

People grieve the deaths of the dead the day or week after the attack, but they forget. The hashtag fades away, along with the sadness for the families and friends and everyone goes back to their own lives. Don’t forget about them. Don’t stop yourself from thinking about who they were or what their life used to look like. They deserve at least that. They deserve to be remembered. So, think about them and let yourself feel sad and grieve because they are gone. Grieving and remembering won’t bring them back, but their death won’t go unnoticed. Be different, be selfless and remember. Remember them.


The author's comments:

This is dedicated to the ones we have lost, their families and friends.