Hurricane Irma | Teen Ink

Hurricane Irma

Hurricane Irma struck Florida late last Sunday night. It was a category 1 hurricane, but wind gusts reaching about 10 miles per hour. Near the capital of Florida Jacksonville coast winds were reaching 60 miles per hour. Some families do not know if their home will still be standing when they return back home. “Storm impacts can continue well after the center passes ,” the governor said of Florida. After passing through Florida Irma turned into a tropical storm.

The hurricane so far has killed 24 people that were recorded in florida and a total of 31 dead across three states. “ Our house, the structure is unstable now, but were your belongings and memories. You can replace little things, but you can’t replace life. It’s going to take a while to get back to normal,” a resident of Florida said. The aftermath of Hurricane Irma will take months before Florida has fully recovered from the hurricane. The expected cost of Hurricane Irma recover is about 50 million dollars.  Florida residents were devastated of the damage of their homes.