Are Autonomous Cars the Way of the Future? | Teen Ink

Are Autonomous Cars the Way of the Future?

There is a lot of debate over whether or not autonomous cars are really the best, next step in human transportation. With the advancement of technology in regards to these vehicles, the progress has grown exponentially in the last decade, and we are very close to seeing these vehicles on the road. However, along with the cars themselves comes a lot of questioning and doubt about their capabilities, and just how safe and efficient they really are.

While there are some things that happen that are completely unexpected and couldn't be planned for, human error accounts for 90% of the 34,000 deaths that occured in the united states in the year 2012. I don't believe there is a remedy for lapse in human judgement, however there may be a way to completely rule it out so that it doesn't become a factor anymore, and i believe autonomous cars are that way. As of 2018 there is only one reported death in a autonomous vehicle accident, that was caused when another driver hit the autonomous vehicle and killed the occupant. So how do we create a system where these vehicles work successfully without outside interference?

Most of the debate takes place on a political level, with our elected officials taking great care in figuring out the best course of action for implementing these cars on the road. However this topic is not different from others, in that the discussion about it always has to sides to the story. While there are a lot of supporters for the benefits of driverless cars, there are also also an equal amount of people against it. Most of the discussion against driverless cars, talks about the potential costs of purchasing such a vehicle, and also the questionability of the cars capabilities. Without extensive testing, we'll never know wether or not these new vehicles are truly safe or not.

While driverless cars are still a vision of the future, implementing them into our society is a fast approaching reality. There is still huge amounts of debate about the cars and their capabilities, and even after implementing them i expect this to continue. While the debate may not always be elegant or pretty, i believe it is absolutely necessary in order to create the best possible environment for american drivers and vehicles.