Opinion Piece on Crisis in Alaska | Teen Ink

Opinion Piece on Crisis in Alaska

By BoidN04 GOLD, Charlotte, North Carolina
BoidN04 GOLD, Charlotte, North Carolina

Hey video go hide in a presidio

Alaska’s economy has been based on oil drilling and energy production for years now(mostly oil). The state has been reliant on oil drilling to pay for almost everything. Oil was their number one income. Recently their economy and oil prices have collapsed and have not showed any signs of getting back on track. Alaska is in a major economic crisis, and a well planned drilling of oil and environmentally friendly energy production can help them get back up the cliff they fell off years ago.
Alaska has many natural resources that can be of great value. The problem is that they think they will harm the ANWR (National Arctic Wild Refuge) by exploiting their natural resources. Yet this problem has a solution. In my opinion Alaska has to allow economic development in it’s land. It is vital they do so as they are suffering from a very big crisis. The crisis can lead to many other elements that would leave a bigger impact in Alaska. The state is scared that producing energy and drilling oil might harm this protected area and cause a big problem in the ecosystem. This has stopped a lot of development in the refuge. Let alone the minimal development in the area, the bad quality of the drillings and the other work conducted by small contractors is costing the state a huge amount. “The state faces a multi-billion dollar deficit, historically low oil prices, and declining energy production; yet energy development is essential to its economy” (McCown). The decline of the states’ development has caused that their economic goals have not been reached by a considerable amount. By not reaching the goal for the income of revenue,  the State of Alaska can not conduct vital actions such as research projects or building necessary public facilities. This deficit also rises the taxes for most taxpayers. All of this situation has caused a major problem that can be solved very easily. 
The solution to the crisis is to allow drilling and energy production in the ANWR, with certain regulations. If certain standards and rules for the drilling and energy production are set, not only will they escape their crisis they will also preserve the wildlife. The idea is that Alaska can employ eco friendly technologies to get what they want.  If Alaska can insert huge fines for wildlife damages, and certain clauses preventing any sort of damages in the ANWR they will start profiting and gain from a win win situation. Right now they have a 3.5 billion deficit (Cole). Allowing standardized development with controlled contractors, they would be able to keep taxes low and avoid all the problems that come with the crisis. With the development of their ANWR they would reach their economic goals which would bring employment, better public service, and keep taxes at a reasonable price for middle class and lower classes. If they continue to not using their resources and their “gold mines” they will be facing big trouble in the next five years.
Alaska’s ANWR is a very good opportunity for Alaska to salvage their state of crisis. If they can handle the usage of the ANWR safely and preserve the wildlife they can solve their problem. Right now they are out of options and suffering a 3.5 billion deficit which harms them in many ways. The alternate of not using the resources at all, will have a negative effect on the quality of life on the people.  Alaska has to use their ANWR to help them from this deep crisis, before the situation gets out of hand.