A Letter To Those Who Were Taught To Hate | Teen Ink

A Letter To Those Who Were Taught To Hate

By tenaciousScribe BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
tenaciousScribe BRONZE, Olympia, Washington

Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.

People believe that some are inherently evil. That they will always be that way, no means to be changed. And it seems as if this is true. You wave around your banners of hate, symbols stolen from the very cultures that you wish to oppress. You steal for your own from the people who only wish for peace, you burn them down. Their lives, their families, their culture, their beliefs, you have no hesitation marring and twisting, all to fuel your own hate of them. But what truly is the source of all this hate? What makes you turn on what you see as different?

Hate is created by fear, which is created by ignorance. The only way to solve hate is to destroy ignorance. Somewhere along the line, your ancestors learned to hate, so they taught their children and the children after them, all to hate what they didn’t fully understand. And this will go on and on, yet you don’t learn anything. You forsake knowledge in exchange for hiding in your bubble and isolating yourself from the world. The truth will set you free, and yet you continue to bear those chains. But to free yourself from the chains of hate, you must free yourself from those of ignorance and fear. You must take a step outside without your weapons, allow yourself to be open to the world.

If this resonates with you, if you’ve been taught that the whole world is against you, I ask of you this simple favor. Buy a plane ticket, buy many tickets, and show yourself the world. Show yourself other cultures, other customs, other languages, other places. Give yourself the chance to experience awe at what they created. Open up your mind and your borders to other people. Help yourself understand that a masterpiece can’t be made with only one color. And if someone else gives you hate, extend a hand to them and offer to take them along with you. Walk the world in each other’s shoes.

The world is only whole with all of us standing together. This is the truth of the world, established as we all went our own ways. We’re meant to be separate but together, a beautiful mosaic of cultures and voices. Of skin colors and fashion. Of beliefs and customs. Of love and identity. Everything needs something else to define it, and we are no different. So, with the truth inescapable, there are only two options to choose.

Change your heart, or die.  

This could apply to anyone, but if you couldn't tell, this is for White Supremacists. It's funny, how someone can be 'taught' to hate, but it really doesn't teach them anything. Really, it just blinds them to the rest of the world. 

Thinking that everyone's out to get you is such a sad life.