There is No Unity Without Diversity | Teen Ink

There is No Unity Without Diversity

By XichenWang BRONZE, Culver, Indiana
XichenWang BRONZE, Culver, Indiana

On this day, July 7th, 84 years ago, we paid our respects to the brave souls who laid down their lives in the Sino-Japanese War to defend, and unify our nation. Ironically, today in China, a law was passed that bans colleges and institutions to support, and raise awareness on the LGBTQ+ movement through social media platforms. As a result, social media users who provided support had their accounts deleted.

I analyzed different perspectives and opinions regarding this event. First, some people believe that being part of the LGBTQ community is equivalent to being mentally insane or unstable. In fact, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) removed homosexuality from the lists of mental disorders in 1973. Additionally, evidence suggests that homosexuality may root in a person’s genetics and/or social influences. Nonetheless, it is an entirely normal choice and shouldn't be judged.

Another, more prominent reason why people failed to stand up for the LGBTQ community is the much-disliked “western influence” in China. In recent years, the tension between China and other nations has increased due to prejudice, and international policy. Through western media, Chinese citizens are learning about and connecting with the rest of the world. Although most people may regard connecting with the world as a positive thing, this, in turn, caused xenophobia throughout China. Many people in China believed that succumbing to the LGBTQ movement was equivalent to accepting western influence. This was deemed unacceptable to the Chinese people. 

In light of this event, discussions boiled up on Weibo—the most used social media app in China. Being an avid user of Weibo, I was expecting anger from other users towards this incident. But what I saw surprised me. People shamelessly praised the government for their actions. 

"I am glad that my son will no longer be influenced by these communities at school."

"Good job. These people should know why they are being blocked. The foreign brainwashing must stop now!"

"Gay culture is a minority. Why should the world change its long-standing beliefs for this community?"

These are just a few of the comments on Weibo. I decided to take a stand and reply to various hate comments. I stated that higher education should aim to educate people on how to accept each other’s differences. The next generation - our generation, needs to listen to each other, connect, and grow. If no one stands up for what is different, then diversity will be wiped out before we know it. Within 3 days, my comment got 200 likes. However, my account was soon deleted. Our voices were being muffled, and censorship was omnipresent. We must stand up for ourselves, for others, and for what we believe in.