Not Everything is Black and White | Teen Ink

Not Everything is Black and White

May 25, 2022
By Anonymous

Not Everything is Black and White


In 2014, CW’s The Flash series casted a Black actress, Candice Patton, for the role of Iris West-Allen, the love interest of the superhero and a traditionally white character. This act is known as racebending and is done by casting directors to diversify a show. To the CW’s dismay, the superhero’s fandom erupted with their voices of displeasure and criticism towards the actress. Throughout the years of acting on the show, now heading into its ninth season, Patton has been discriminated against and disrespected. Many people state it has nothing to do with her skin-tone but rather her acting abilities; however, the countless racist comments and death threats she receives could beg to differ. I believe that Patton’s acting and her complexion has played a large role in my and other young Black girls’ undying love for the show and resilience to mistreatment when in uncomfortable situations. Despite the dislike faced because of the change in race of the character, Candice Patton continues to play the best Iris West-Allen.


People of color have taken on white comic book roles many times before hence Patton believed it would not be a big deal, she tells The Washington Post.She further states that she was too naive to prepare for what was coming. 


The first time Candice had graced my screen, the show was well into its third season, and I was watching scenes from CW’s Supergirl. Both CW shows were having a musical crossover, and hence appeared on each others’ shows. When I originally saw Barry Allen, a.k.a The Flash and Iris interact on Supergirl’s show, I remember thinking “Oh, my they are an interaccial couple.” On instinct I believed that their relationship was not going to last. I automatically looked at the color of their skin and judged the show. As a black girl who is also now a superfan, you can imagine how heartbroken I am when I look back at this moment. On the other hand, this allowed me to see why so many people hated Candice's character. It wasn’t only that they changed the color of Iris’ skin but because they inevitably made the lead couple an interracial couple. Of course there are still those who only hate her for her beautiful complexion. 


Representation in tv shows has become more prominent and allows young children from all walks of life to see someone like themselves on the big screen. Sage Ashford, a freelance writer, recognizes that “simply changing a character's race is an easy way to result in the most vitriol from fans, even though most of the time everything else about the character from their look to their personalities and power set remain identical.”  People continue to ask for more representation but become upset when they are given it. How do showrunners stay within that very thin line?


It seems to be a case where people don’t want any changes in their long standing characters, as it ruins the character’s mentality and way of life. I agree to some extent, that it is hard to accept a change to something you have known as something else for the longest time but how will society grow away from old practices if they can’t accept changing the race of a fictional character. Additionally in the case of The Flash series, many fans wish to see a relationship between Barry Allen, The Flash and Caitlyn Snow, one of his best friends played by his white co-star which would stray from the original plot of the show far more than changing the main female lead’s race. Further proving that their hate for Candice has nothing to do with changing the comics.


There needs to be more change in order for us to move forward. Shows need to be able to diversify characters even if that means changing how they were initially envisioned without receiving hate from society. 


Candice Patton is in fact the best Iris West-Allen as she truly embodies the character. Many Black girls were able to see a woman who is confident, beautiful and of darker complexion than those in shows during the time The Flash was released. The character was also given struggles that are outside of the black stereotypical crime, drugs and violence troop which showed Black people in a different light which I believe is the most impactful part of her character’s background. Growth can not happen unless you read between the lines. 

 

Work Consulted

Ashford, Sage. “Characters Who Changed Their Race.” CBR, cbr.com, 9 February 2018, cbr.com/characters-who-changed-race/.  Accessed 7 May 2022.


Betancourt, David. “How Candice Patton got past the controversy and turned Iris West into a groundbreaking role.” The Washington Post, washingtonpost.com, 18 January 2018, washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/01/18/how-candice-patton-got-past-the-controversy-and-turned-iris-west-into-a-groundbreaking-role/. Accessed 7 May 2022.


The author's comments:

People constantly ask for more diversity but become upset when the race of a character they know has been changed. It is very important to keep some form of originality but we must also be able to accept growth and in order to grow, there must be change.