The Gender Pay Gap: A Current Problem With An Ancient Solution | Teen Ink

The Gender Pay Gap: A Current Problem With An Ancient Solution

By scarlett06 BRONZE, Pasadena, California
scarlett06 BRONZE, Pasadena, California

Women were paid just 84 cents to a man’s dollar in America, according to Pew Research Center data from 2020. They analyzed data from full and part time workers and sadly this statistic remains about the same 3 years later. If societal norms and views of women don’t change, neither will the pay gap.

From the minute a girl is born, she is lower in the social hierarchy compared to a boy. The divisions between the two are much more than the single pair of chromosomes that separate us biologically. In many cultures, their job is limited to either a mother or housekeeper. This leads to an under-representation of women in the workplace and in positions of power.

And the women who do work are severely discriminated against. They take up more lower paying jobs and are hired at decreased salaries. Pew Research also found that women with a postgraduate degree experienced more discrimination at work than their less educated female counterparts. Men, instead of appreciating their peers’ intelligence and contributions, feel intimidated by them and work to limit their advancement to maintain their own “power”. A New York Times study reports that, “White men born in the United States were given higher pay increases than women and minorities with the same performance evaluation scores, working in the same job with the same managers.” Something has to change.

Although complicated, this problem can be explained by the teachings of a simple philosopher from the Zhou dynasty named Confucious. He decided to teach his philosophy, and gathered a following. After his death, his followers made a book of his teachings called the Analects which was an easy source of wisdom. 

His philosophy was that the solution to China’s problems was to follow the moral example of superiors, and those who follow will become good as well. Confucius stated, “Young men should be filial when at home and respectful to their elders when away from home” (Analects 1:6). He believed that if you maintained five core relationships in which there was an inferior and superior, there would be a harmonious society. As he saw it, family was a model for political life.

Since his philosophy worked for modeling good behavior it also works the opposite way as well. If you follow someone’s bad example, you will become morally bad. Generations of men viewing women as inferior have led their sons and even daughters to believe that narrative. Confucious’ belief that the basis of our beliefs begin at home are also true. This notion that women are subordinate to men is weaved into our culture and has been normalized. It starts at home and spreads through communities, schools, workplaces, the media, nations, and the world. 

Luckily, Confucianism holds an answer to this problem as well. Although Confucious believed in hierarchies, he also believed in equality, especially when it came to education. He simply stated, “In education there should be no class distinction” (Analects 15:38). He emphasized the importance of both genders seeking knowledge, having good character and being in good relationships. As the son of a single mother, this was especially important to him because he experienced firsthand the strength and importance of women who contribute to society.

All of his values were to be maintained by everyone in society, so there could be harmony. He stated, “Wealth and honor are what every man desires. But if they have been obtained in violation of moral principles, they must not be kept… A superior man never abandons humanity” (Analaects 4:5). Personality and the quality of the mind came first above wealth and gender.

Confucious valued education and if people’s mindset are changed about women, to empower them instead of discourage, people will follow this example and societal norms will change. Men play a vital role in doing this, and with their support, our society can become much stronger.

I will soon be joining the workplace, along with my peers, and I care so deeply about this problem, because I have seen the examples of women like Hillary Clinton, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Michelle Obama, and my mom, who have made so many contributions to society yet had to work so hard to overcome the challenges of a male dominated society. I wish for things to be different for the next generation of working women, so they not only survive but thrive as well. And in that way all of society benefits.