Give a Damn | Teen Ink

Give a Damn

July 5, 2010
By yourbiggestfan BRONZE, Cudahy, California
yourbiggestfan BRONZE, Cudahy, California
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments

When I hear of hate crimes in other schools and when I hear someone got killed or bashed just because of sexuality, it hurts. I just finished reading the book 'Keeping You a Secret,' and it's about 2 girls falling in love, she knew that she could have crushes on girls and knew it all along but still tried having a boyfriend, but she fell in love with the person who was her soulmate, a girl. It made me cry when I was reading that her so-called friend was telling her of how she was wrong and how much she seemed to hate her because of it. She spread rumors and called her a dyke, and what made even more angry and hurt was when her mother found out from her ex boyfriend and she hit her and called her a pervert, she didn't even let her get near her baby sister, saying it was a perversion and she kicked her out. When I read things like that it makes me wonder how much more blind I can be, things like that happen every day and I care more about other ways of trying to help. I always say of how it's okay to be gay or lesbian or bi, I defend it with my life because I believe it's right. But I don't realize that outside this community I live in, things can go wrong, just like in the book. In My high school we a Gay-Straight Alliance, it's one of our most well known clubs. I love it, because it shows that there are others out there, and some I wouldn't even realize it. It makes me feel more secure. Most of the student body are so open to different types of sexuality. One of our most well known and (as many say) cutest couple are two girls. On Day of Silence, almost everyone had on a sticker with the logo we created over their mouths, the school had never been so quiet. So I see why I wouldn't understand things going on in other schools and in the news. The community I live in is so open, our school cheers and supports out couples for having the courage to show who they really are. I myself am bisexual. I've had boyfriends, but girls are my pleasure :) I am happy, and lucky to say, that I can be more open with my sexuality because where I grew up, most people are open-minded. So it makes me want everyone to be like this, I want to make a difference, give everyone a chance to be who they want to be and fall in love with who they want to be in love with. In some countries the penalty is death for being gay or lesbian! I want to change that, because I give a damn. I know I'm still young, but I can try, and I can show others the world in the way that I see it: equal.

The author's comments:
You Should Give a Damn too. :)