Acceptance | Teen Ink

Acceptance

October 17, 2010
By MusicAtMidnight BRONZE, Shady Side, Maryland
MusicAtMidnight BRONZE, Shady Side, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

I don’t have some deep and personal story to share with you about accepting others. I don’t have a reason for you to be kind and understanding, besides the fact that it’s the right thing to do. What I don’t get is why people aren’t naturally accepting anyway. White, black, male, female, gay, straight, it doesn’t matter. We are all technically human beings.

I’m sure you’ve heard this all before, yet discrimination still exists. There was an article in the newspaper recently about a boy who killed himself because he was bullied for being gay. Why would someone bully someone for being gay? It’s not like he had a choice in his sexual preference. Some people are just cruel. It’s people like that that make me ashamed to be a human being. Not the people that are different, but the people that are cruel.

Seriously, what’s wrong with these people that make them feel the need to pick on others because of differences? Isn’t that what we were raised not to do? And anyway, when was the last time you saw a 5 year old discriminate against someone for being different? No, it’s stupid adults and teenagers that make all of these sappy speeches about equality necessary. I shouldn’t generalize here, because there are very nice people out there, but then there are cruel people who overshadow the kindness. It’s so annoying. This is my point-of-view of discrimination.