I am a man | Teen Ink

I am a man

October 10, 2010
By Anonymous

I am a man. A gay man, but no less a man. I don't necessarily believe in god, but I do believe in the gods of fashion and music. I live fore the arts, culture, and passion. Someday I want the world to know who I am. I don't care what people will think of me. I don't want to know what people will think of me. As long as I am accepted I will be happy. I will not change who I am for a man and I certainly will not change for the world. If I change it is because I chose to. I changed because I wanted to. I find enjoyment out of being a man's man, but I know that class and sharp wit make a man a higher standard. Being a man isn't just hunting, being strong, or being as butch as possible. Being a man is about standing up for what you believe and letting others be proud of what they believe in without degrading them. Being a man is making your life mean something. Being a man is changing the world. Not to a masochistic, simple minded world, but to a world of acceptance and peace. I want to change the world. Not to a homosexual paradise of pop music and sailors, but to a world of acceptance, love, and compassion. Gay men are still individuals. I am still an individual. I don't want sympathy or pity. I simply want you to accept me for what I am. A human being, just like you are. I want the discrimination and judgement to end. I know this can't be achieved in the near future or even the distant future, due to the simple reason that people are like cows. They migrate to the places they know and would rather do the same thing for eterntity than change. What I am seeking is equality. All I am asking for is understanding and acceptance. A world of love. Free of hate. Free of barriers. There is a song that says "I am woman. Hear me roar." To that I say "I am man. Hear me sing."


The author's comments:
I found inspiration for this piece while I was watching an episode of Glee.