Asperger's Syndrome | Teen Ink

Asperger's Syndrome

By mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio

Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!

Dear Bully,

Remember me? I’m the weird kid on the bus that you were taunting a few days ago. I would like to thank you for being such an inspiration for the letter that I am now addressing to the general public. You see, I have Asperger’s Syndrome, which is a learning disorder that makes my mind really awkward and weird to some people. Please try to understand that some of the things that come with Asperger’s Syndrome is the lack to make friends (which you have stated many times), I have a bad time learning math (case in point again), and I am very lonely. Now, the reason that I have not yet reported you AGAIN to the principal is because I just want you to know that I forgive you. I forgive you for being a jerk to me and I would just like you to know that Asperger’s Syndrome is high functioning Autism, which you probably don’t know. Any who, I would also like to point out that in the study of neurology; there is a fact that states: kids with Aspergers who are bullied tend to have a ninety percent more chance of becoming very successful in their lives. Along with that success comes many depression states and thoughts of suicide. Now, I know that you are probably thinking that you would be big and buff if I “went away”. But, may I just say that the thought of giving me much grief would be on your mind. Finally, you may have noticed that I have many topics which I obsess about (shipwrecks, Math, friends, Neurology, etc.) this is a function of Asperger’s Syndrome that I can say really helps with my days that you bully me. Thank you for reading this and have a wonderful day, Bully.

Sincerely,
The Kid that you hit on the bus.

AisuP SILVER said...
AisuP SILVER, Los Angeles, California

I broke the shackles that I built myself, because I didn't feel like wearing them anymore.

I swear I would have freaking cried. I wish I had this kind of bravery and strength. I keep wanting to write about my Asperger's, about the pain it brings me, about how my peers will never understand, about how I'm labeled as a "nerd" and "socially awkward," about how I couldn't help but assume it wasn't a joke when he asked me out, about how I'm alone, but I always find myself in tears when I do it and then I throw a fit and rage against my computer or paper or whatever (THAT was a run-on sentence). But back to the main point: the piece. Aside from being able to relate, I loved this piece because it's written in a way that it sounds like a child, begging, no, asking, he doesn't sound desperate at all. And the last line (well, lines), "Sincerely, The Kid that you hit on the bus." That's what really got me. I choked up at that part.

mymask DIAMOND said...
on Jun. 11 2011 at 11:40 am
mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio

Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!

Thank you, this truly was very hard for me to tell, to show to the world. I am glad that there are people, just like you, who listen or read and are kind; the world needs more people like you.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

This brought me to tears. You're brave and sweet. We need more people like you.