What Do You Expect? | Teen Ink

What Do You Expect?

By Mockingjay_54 GOLD, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Mockingjay_54 GOLD, Mount Laurel, New Jersey

Why. Why do you expect my people to stay silent and docile? We are being murdered in the street like dogs. Men, women, and children, they do not discriminate when our skin is brown or black. Aiyanna Jones. 7. Shot in the head by police during a raid while sleeping on a couch. The officer was tried but never found guilty of manslaughter. Tamir Rice. 12. Shot and killed by police within 2 seconds of arriving on scene after a 911 call. He was playing with a pellet gun. Do you expect us to excuse the murder of our children? Eric Garner. 43. Died from an illegal police chokehold after repeatedly saying, "I can't breathe." The officer was never indicted. Freddie Gray. 25. Was arrested after making eye contact with an officer and running. Died "mysteriously" in police custody, suffering a broken spine and crushed voice box. Do you expect us to excuse the merciless killing of our men? Rekia Boyd. 22. Shot in the back of the head when an officer in an unmarked car fired into a crowd, trying to hit a man who supposedly pulled a gun from his waistband and pointed it at him. The officer was found not guilty. Natasha McKenna. 37. A mentally ill woman who was tasered to death by police while cuffed and in leg shackles.It took four months for the medical examiner to deliver a report after her death. Do you expect us to excuse the slaughter of our women?

You have never been and never will be black. Do not pretend to know our struggle, and do not presume tell us how we should respond to our oppression. you say violence insn't the answer, yet this very country was founded on violence.It was taken through violence. It won its freedom through violence. Drunk white kids can riot over a sports event or a pumpkin fest, but when people are being brutalized and unjustifiably killed because of their race, we are "thugs" who deserve to be shot. But violence isn't the answer right? MLK said lots of things about peaceful protest and loving your neighbor. But one quote you all convieniently seem to miss, "But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. it would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And i must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard." -MLK. You all seem to forget, MLK was the leader of the non-violent movement. And the government STILL killed him. We tried (and continue to try) nonviolent protest. You expect us to use the same tactic that obviously does't work? And don't pretend to care about the community of Baltimore when it is being destroyed in anger. You didn't care when 25% of the black population is living under the poverty line. You didn't care when 84% of school students qualified for free and reduced lunch.You didn't care when 51.8 percent of residents were unemployed. You only cared to keep us docile, from reacting to our oppression.

Being unarmed does not help us. being a "respectable negro" wearing suits instead of sagging pants won't save us. Only destroying to centuries old system of racism and discrimination within the police force. Stop killing my people. #BlackLivesMatter

White privilege seems to blind most to the struggle going on within the black community. People are dying. My people. No one seems to be listening, or they don't care. So we're fighting back. Peacefully and non-peacefully.