Fighting Discrimination: Whom- but Ourselves- Should We Hate? | Teen Ink

Fighting Discrimination: Whom- but Ourselves- Should We Hate?

By futurista12 ELITE, Far Rockaway, New York
futurista12 ELITE, Far Rockaway, New York

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."- Shakespeare

Whom- but ourselves- should we hate? What gives us right to discriminate against a certain gender or race or group of people? I can understand hating an individual who has done us wrong, but what justification do we have to hate an entire congregation, people who we don't even know? Jews, African-Americans, Caucasians, Hispanics, Latinos, Indian-Americans, Native-Americans, Biracials, LGBTs, men, women, girls, and boys of mixed ancestry... On applications, why do they ask me if I'm black, white, or (not Hispanic or Latino)? Why should it matter what my biology is, what my ancestry is, what my race, my color, is? I am human. We all are humans. We all have flaws, we're all different, from birth and by the lives we choose to lead. But the difference is what makes each of us beautiful. When are we going to learn to put our prejudices aside so that we can reach our full potential? When are we going to grow up and do away with the pettiness of discrimination? There's a big, colorful, vastly different world out there, and it's ours to explore. There is so much we can learn from different cultures, different environments, different experiences that others have had. We all have so much to learn from each other, and we each have something to give to someone else. We need to make our ancestors- whomever they may be- we need to make them proud. We need to ensure that those who sacrificed their lives didn't do it in vain. We need to be an example, to make a difference, so that our descendants can see people for who they are, regardless of their differences. I need those I look up to, the adults in my life, to make a difference so that I can see light on the path I am choosing to take. I need to use my voice because there are so many people who cannot use theirs. WE, as a nation, as a world, as people, need to get our act together so that our children can inherit a better world than the one we've been given.

This is something I feel very strongly about. Everyone should be treated according to their actions, not according to their skin color or beliefs.