Marijuana | Teen Ink

Marijuana

November 13, 2018
By LillianRoseberry PLATINUM, Manly, Iowa
LillianRoseberry PLATINUM, Manly, Iowa
33 articles 3 photos 0 comments

If marijuana could help one single person with a horrible illness for a period of time, wouldn’t you want them to be able to use it? Marijuana has been proven to help get people out of chronic pain. Anorexia has also been tested with marijuana as a possible medicine to help these people and has shown a good outcome. If these people do not get the want to eat and this “so called” drug can give them the will to eat and live, they should use it. Marijuana should be legalized for medical and recreational use because it can be used for relieving pain and giving people suffering from anorexia the will to eat, as well as lifting the moods of people who need it.

Marijuana can relieve chronic pain for people that are suffering so it should be legalized to help them get through their tough situations. It has been proven to relieve emotions of depression in people who are suffering from chronic pain. On a study done by Webmd, it states that a test was done in 2010 with 40 people around the age of 45. The outcome shows that about it relieved pain of about 10%. That number may not seem very high but if this can even lift pain of 10% that can greatly help someone (webmd.) Along with other pain meds and therapy these drugs could get someone out of pain completely. Any relief is greatly appreciated by these patients. This evidence supports what I’m arguing because it proves that marijuana lifts pain by almost 10% and even that can help people survive their pain. Although it may be true that no new evidence is stating that marijuana helps with chronic pain, but for those- even if it’s very few- that it does help, it could save their life. It could be that little pain reliever that keeps them wanting to live. Marijuana relieves pain for people that are suffering, as well as helps people suffering from anorexia get the caloric intake they need.

Marijuana helps people that have anorexia get the appetite they need to stay healthy and alive therefore it should be legalized for recreational and medical use in all states. Anorexia is a medical condition defined as a lack or loss of an appetite for food or an emotional disorder of a need to lose weight. As stated on “EatingDisorderHope” marijuana can be used as an appetite stimulant for those with an anorexia disorder. This article from 2017 states that marijuana could be used as an appetite booster with those who are not in touch with their hunger cues (EatingDisorderHope). A past study from this article proves that this drug can increase someone’s caloric intake by over 40% in a short period of time. If it can work for an average person, who’s to say it can’t help boost someone with this disorder? Who’s to say it couldn’t save someone’s life? This evidence proves that marijuana should be legalized for all states because it could save a life. Who’s responsible if we decide that marijuana shouldn’t be legalized and the people who it could’ve benefited don’t get better, or lose their life? Medical use of this drug should not be someone's only form of treatment a person receives. Therapy could be an option, as well as nutritional monitoring. Motivation is key for anything. Someone has to be motivated to do something they can’t. Maybe marijuana could boost someone’s motivation to do something they need to. It is always worth a shot. Nobody can force someone to get help or use the help they are getting if they don’t want it. They will always figure out ways to not use the help they get if they don’t want it. Marijuana is solution to this. It could always be worth the chance to save someone’s life and offer it to them. Marijuana could help someone with anorexia get there motivation to eat again.

Marijuana helps people with chronic pain, and people with anorexia. It can help with relieving pain from people who have chronic pains and give them more hope for the future. Marijuana helps some with anorexia get the caloric intake that they need to go on and can make them get the will to eat again, it can give them their hunger cues to keep them healthy. If you had the opportunity to tell a patient who’s been suffering from some of these horrible illnesses that you had a pain reliever for them that could work very well, would you not give it to them?


The author's comments:

This was an english assignment, we are writing argumentative essays. I hope you enjoy!