Is Vaping a Safe Idea? | Teen Ink

Is Vaping a Safe Idea?

Recently the act of smoking cigarettes has been becoming much less acceptable in society. With this happening many more people have been trying to quit cigarettes and kick their addiction by ways such as the patch or nicotine gum. These have proved to be ineffective, leading to many users going right back to smoking. In 2006 a new way to quit smoking was introduced, e-cigarettes, also known as vapes. The act of vaping is done by heating liquids, which have a mixture of propylene glycol, glycerin, and nicotine, until they are vaporized. By vaporizing the products instead of burning them, the carcinogens are eliminated.  With the introduction of e-cigarettes current smokers have a much easier way to quit smoking. Switching to vaping would be an intelligent decision because risk of health issues is lowered, it does not include tobacco, and it is a much cheaper alternative.  

One reason that vaping is a safe idea is that it lowers the risk of health issues caused by combustible cigarettes.  E-cigarettes have caused a 50% increase in the rate of people using a product designed to help people quit smoking. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated, “Worldwide, smoking is the top cause of preventable death, responsible for over seven million deaths each year.” In society if a cause of death is preventable, it should without a doubt be prevented. If current smokers do not quit their current habits, they inevitably will contract fatal health issues. Switching to the use of e-cigarettes will substantially lower their risk of health issues, by not exposing them to as many harmful chemicals as in a traditional cigarette.  

In addition to e-cigarettes lowering risk of health issues, it does not contain tobacco. Tobacco is linked to causing many types of cancer, without it being present in e-cigarettes it lowers the risk of cancer exponentially. Public Health England said, “E-Cigarettes Around 95% Less Harmful Than Tobacco, Estimates Landmark Review.” In society if something that was less harmful to a person's health was available, it seems the obvious choice. Current cigarette users are at a high risk to develop cancer at some point in their lives, which is potentially fatal. By switching to vaping cigarette users may avoid cancer and could avoid a very unnecessary death. Since e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco it makes them much safer to use. Tobacco is one of the main contributors to cancer found in cigarettes.  

As well as all the health benefits vaping has to offer, it can save current smokers thousands of dollars a year. According to Ethan Wolff-Mann, of Money, “Disposable-cigarettes will mug you an average of $1,387 per year if you’re a pack-a-day smoker- considerably less than the $2,569 equivalent yearly cost of the real thing.” In society saving money is of upmost importance. When given the opportunity to save money it is clearly obvious to do it. With the extra money smokers could support their family or spend it on something more worthwhile than cigarettes. E-cigarettes offer a much cheaper alternative to smoking that could save smokers thousands of dollars in a lifetime. 

While most people agree that vaping is much safer than traditional cigarettes, some think they have many added dangers and issues. In fact, some think that e-cigarettes biggest issue is the underage usage. They claim that vaping is leading to kids starting to smoke, while it does seem like a logical reason it has never been proven. (Although it does seem like a logical reason why kids start smoking it has never been proven) Public Health England published a report, in which it stated there is no conclusive evidence that vaping is an entryway into smoking for people of all ages. As it has been previously stated vaping lowers health risk and is a much safer due to it not containing tobacco. Children using e-cigarettes is an issue but banning them is not the best solution. More extensive age laws need to be enforced, this would eliminate children using vapes. This would still provide a safe way for current smokers to quit smoking altogether.  

While e-cigarettes are a great way to quit smoking, they are still a healthy and smart alternative. This is due to the absence of tobacco, lowered health risks, and reduced costs. People against vaping say it’s not being used to quit cigarettes, only get more people hooked on them. However; evidence shows that many more people are attempting to quit cigarettes than ever before, with vapes. Also, it is not proven that e-cigarettes lead to smoking. Vaping is an opportunity that will go as far as current smokers can take it. If they understand all the negatives to smoking, and switch to vaping, millions of lives can be saved annually. 

This piece is written to target current smokers. It informs them on the advantages of switching to vaping as well as some negatives. While trying to get smokers to switch to vaping the essay's main purpose is to ultimately push current smokers to quit their habits.