Should People Who Get Caught Drunk Driving Lose Their License for a Year? | Teen Ink

Should People Who Get Caught Drunk Driving Lose Their License for a Year?

By jfielding BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
jfielding BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

Every day 28 people die because of drunk driving on average, resulting in about 10,220 deaths per year. The number of deaths will easily be reduced by taking away the license of a driver after being caught under the influence for a whole year. The human body is physically affected by alcohol and it impairs a person’s driving abilities, causing them to possibly harm themselves and others. People will also be affected by the burden placed upon them when they have their licenses revoked for a year. Some people may believe losing their license's for a year may be too harsh of a consequence. People who are caught driving under the influence of alcohol should lose their licenses for a year, because drunk drivers pose a danger to themselves and others and because the loss of the license and the burden of not being able to drive will make the offender less likely to drive under the influence again.  

One reason people should lose their licenses for a year after being caught drunk driving is because of the impact alcohol causes on the body, while behind the wheel. Alcohol affects the human mind and makes it unsuitable for driving because it alters the concentration. It slows reaction time so people are unable to respond quickly, increasing the risk of an accident. The brain will take longer to process the situation to prevent the accident. Furthermore, alcohol also affects the human’s eyes and vision while driving. After drinking, a person’s vision is blurred and the person can not control their eye movement. Eyes that are impaired affect the human’s judgment on distance and speed. Drunk driving is a serious threat to the driver’s life as well as the other people on the road.

Another reason drunk drivers should lose their license’s for a year is that the burden it causes on people’s lives not owning a car. Human’s depend on their vehicles because they are an easy mode of transportation. Being able to drive yourself from one place to the next is convenient and an important part of a person’s day. Owning a car and holding a license is a privilege and people should not abuse it by driving under the influence. Additionally, without a license, a person has to depend on public transportation. Public transportation is not reliable because the bus or train could be full or not running on time. There are also fees for public transportation which people have to pay every time they want to get to there destination. The burden of not having a license will make the offender less likely to make the same mistake.

Many people may argue revoking a license for a year after driving under the influence of alcohol is too serve of punishment because people are not in there sound minds after consuming alcohol. Drinking affects the memory of a person which could result in a human getting behind the wheel unknowingly. Alcohol also causes neurotransmitters in the brain to signal a change in behavior, which affects the emotion and thought processes. Nevertheless, if a person plans on drinking alcohol they should also plan responsibly. People should not drive their own car to a location if they know they will be drinking and should designate a driver. Even if the person does not plan ahead they can call a friend or another driver.  Removing someone’s license for a year after getting caught drunk driving may be a harsh consequence to some, but it is to protect their lives and others.

Drivers caught driving under the influence of alcohol should face a penalty of losing their license for a year because they are putting themselves and others at risk and because the loss of a licenses puts a strain on the person making them less inclined to get behind the wheel while intoxicated. One reason the license should be seized from a drunk driver is because of the impact alcohol causes on the human body, which creates a greater risk to the driver and everyone else on the road. Also, the burden of not having a license for a year will incline the offender to not get behind the wheel after drinking. A few people may argue that revoking a license for a year is too harsh of a punishment. However, when lives are at risk people need to drinking responsibly. Overall, if people are caught drunk driving they should lose their license because they will save lives.