DANGERS OF ALCOHOLISM | Teen Ink

DANGERS OF ALCOHOLISM

By hkalcoholism BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
hkalcoholism BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other

A shot at the start, a spiral down the bottom, alcohol is not an answer.

In this writing, we would like to discuss the causes of alcoholism and its impact on one’s physical and mental health. 

Regarding this topic, we’ve acknowledged the rising concern in alcohol abuse, an issue undeniably worsening in society. For many, their start stems from the desire to escape and self-medicate; easing mental health symptoms: Using alcohol as a “quick fix” to escape and cope with reality, viewing alcohol as a coping mechanism. Aside from that, it may be due to peer pressure, leading them to become addicted to the sole intention of “trying to fit in.” However, alcohol comes with a cost. A cost of physical and mental health, relationships with others, and more. 

As you all know, alcoholism is a pervasive problem that affects millions of people around the world, causing a wide range of physical, emotional, and social consequences. Alcoholism can eventually cause serious health issues. This includes…

- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Stroke 
- Liver disease
- Digestive issues
- Cancer of the breast, mouth, throat, oesophagus, voice box, liver, colon, and rectum 

Moreover, it could increase the risk of illness, learning and memory issues, including dementia. This reveals how alcohol can negatively impact our physical health by increasing our risk of other illnesses and chronic diseases. 

Other than physical health, alcohol has an effect on mental health and can contribute to feelings of despair and anxiety as well as make stress more difficult to handle in the long term. Extreme effects can cause… 

- Dementia
- Learning disabilities
- Memory loss
- Severely impaired mental function
- Suicide in individuals without a history of mental health problems
- Violent tendency (domestic abuse) 

More than affecting one’s health, these affect those around them, such as: children of alcoholic parents have a greater chance of experiencing abuse and neglect, and are more likely to use alcohol and drugs to cope with their pain later in life.

Last, there are still numerous ways to prevent falling into the deep hole of alcoholism and recovering from alcoholism. Such as Harm Reduction Programs, Non-government organisations that help combat alcoholism, asking for support/help, and saying no to peer pressure: 

- The Cabin — effective and affordable treatment program. 
- SOSKELY  
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
- Get assistance from social workers, doctors, therapists, or counsellors.
- Say NO to your peers, if it’s difficult try to change the topic or leave the situation.

All in all, alcohol is extremely dangerous to those affected, and it’s a community’s responsibility to lower and create better for the future. We wish you find use in this short writing and don’t be afraid to reach out and seek help from others, there will always be someone out there for you. 

we are two students, Micky and Kassia, we’ve realised that alcohol abuse is an ever-worsening situation in the community and is currently working on our community project to raise awareness about this to the public.