Twisted Reality | Teen Ink

Twisted Reality

May 22, 2010
By Anonymous

Alcohol, also known as booze, is an intoxicating liquor. Some people enjoy the taste of this liquor and most likely drink it often. Others may find it repulsive and disgusting. I, myself, would be classified as the second type. Even though I haven't tried a drop of this drink, I find it quite nasty, just by the thought. If you think about it, you may agree with me too.

I'm sure that everyone knows someone who drinks, even if it's like you know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy. One of the dumbest things people do when they are "under the influence" is that they drive. One American is killed by a drunk driver every 31 minutes. That's about 17,000 people a year(1). Your loved ones could be caught in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and end up in one of these accidents. I wouldn't want to be the person who caused this incident, mainly because I wouldn't want to be responsible for the death of someone I love, I don't drink, and plus I can't drive. Some people who were known and admired by many have passed away due to stupid driving when they shouldn't be. For example, Princess Diana of Wales, may she rest in peace, was killed in a car crash due to her driver being drunk at the time. The paparazzi were chasing Diana. And the driver, maybe wanting to out drive them, sped way over the speed limit, When the driver entered a tunnel, he lost control of the vehicle and crashed with an explosion. The driver and Dodi, Diana's lover, lost their lives at the moment of the crash. The Princess had died later on. She had suffered internal bleeding and then her heart gave out(2). Well, don't you think that's a sad way to die for those people? I most definitely do. "Moving on, more than 4 in 10 people who begin drinking before the age of 15, eventually become alcoholics(3)." The worst part is that these kids are wasting their life drinking, when they could be doing something meaningful with their lives. And the affects of alcohol drinking are even higher when you're young. So kids, just say no to these things. You've probably heard it a dozen times from your parents, so why don't you give it a try instead? Except, you probably shouldn't say it to your parents if they ask you to do chores, you'll most likely get grounded.
One of the most horrible things that I have learned about alcohol use is the effects it has on your brain. "Results of autopsy show that patients with a history of chronic alcohol abuse have smaller, less massive, and more shrunken brains than nonalcoholic adults of the same age and gender(4)." And it also affects the parts of your brain that can cause you to have "difficulty walking, blurred vision, slurred speech, slowed reaction times and impaired memory(5)." "It impairs your judgment and affects the way you think, feel and communicate(6)." Now, none of that sounds good does it? You could tell someone you love them, eat trash, or anything else and you may never know you actually did it. You know if you have no brain you can't live, and if you can't live, then your dead. So, I don't think you want to be dead and if you do, I suggest you go to a psychiatrist. Alcohol can affect many parts of the brain, which is too many to list.

I think it's wrong and bad to drink alcohol. People should just not to do it. They have a right to do what they want, but if it kills them, I don't think they should. This is just my own opinion though. Hopefully, after you read this, then you'll change your mind to my side of the argument. If you don't then that's your opinion, just try not to pick an argument with me about it. Live your own life. Try and be your own person, whose above your influence.


1. "How do people die?". Its My Life. May 11, 2010 <http://www.itsmylife.com/IMLNew/stats.html>.


2. "Princess Diana's Accident". Princess-Diana. May 11, 2010 <http://www.princess-diana.com/diana/accident.htm>.


3. "Alcohol". Above The Influence. May 11, 2010 <http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/facts/drugs-sources.aspx>.


4. "Consequences of Intoxication on Brain Structure & Function". Psychological Arts. May 11, 2010 <http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm>.


5. "Alcohol's Damaging Effects On the Brain". N. I. A. A. A.. May 11, 2010 <http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm>.


6. "Alcohol and Heart Disease". Womens Heart Foundation. May 11, 2010 <http://www.womensheart.org/content/HeartDisease/alcohol_and_heart_disease.asp>.