To be Stoned, or to not be Stoned? | Teen Ink

To be Stoned, or to not be Stoned?

I was recently reading an article published; great article, but it brought a spark to my mind I'd just like to give a point of view from another being with an open minded opinion.

This paragraph stated:
"I would never actually use marijuana. I’m too smart for that. I have too much going for me. Besides, according to health class, it’s the gateway drug. One minute, you’re smoking a little weed, and the next, you’re Lindsay Lohan."

Alright...
"I would never use Marijuana, I'm too smart for that, I have too much going for me."

Hm, weird. I didn't know that smoking Marijuana would lead your future to the dumps.
According to sources, Bill Gates invented the internet high on Marijuana.
Michael Phelps, a gold medal winning athlete smokes Pot.
Seth Rogen & James Franco, award winning actors,
Barack Obama...SUPRISE! He has smoked pot in his day and seems to atleast 'try' and run the States.

The list goes on from Politicians, to actors, to great artists, and musicians. Some exaples;
- John F. Kennedy; former president.
- Art Garfunkel ; singer (Simon and Garfunkel.)
- The Beatles
- Pink Floyd; musicians
- Emperor Liu Chi-nu; made medical recommendation for its use.
- Evelyn Waugh; Author.
- George Washington; First president of the US
- The Grateful Dead; musicians
- Janis Joplin; musician
- Jim Morrison; musician and American Poet
- Johnny Cash; musician
- Louis Armstrong; Jazz musician
- Pablo Picasso; Artist
Yes...Even Queen Elizabeth who had smoked Hash to relieve menstrual cramps.

So, my advice. Instead of listening to your Health teacher, who obviously hasn't been properly educated in the field of horticulture or even the facts and beneficial medical use of Marijuana, don't assume if you smoke a joint or two in your life that your killing all your braincells and will forever be 'Dumb.' I'm not saying to go out and get stoned all the time, I'm simply saying to at least educate yourself on the topic before spitting bogus splurs. The Truth is infectious, and starts like this.

Also, just to throw this in. The "Gate way theory" well, yes it may be true that once you start buying Marijuana,you might be offered to try something 'new' or 'better!' See, this tracks way back to when Nixon started out Civil war were still battling with today...What is it? the notorious War On Drugs! If we hadn't of spent millions of dollars on this program in the first place, the 'soft core drugs' (Marijuana) and the 'hard-core drugs' (Cocaine, Heroin, Meth .etc) wouldn't have even been mixed, therefore the Gate way theory, is just a theory...An opinion. Have your own.

Have you ever heard of the benefits of Marijuana? I bet you haven't. In all reality, according to the Institute of Medicine, “the most encouraging clinical data on the effects of cannabinoids on chronic pain are from three studies of cancer pain.”

Since marijuana is well known to be an appetite stimulant, its use has been studied in patients with the wasting syndrome. The wasting syndrome, which is defined as the involuntary loss of more than 10% of body weight, is a common finding in the end stages of some fatal diseases, such as AIDS and metastatic cancer.

The list goes on; Anxiety, Depression, Anorexia, Insomnia, Pain, Cerebral Palsy; Also known to help with Parkinson disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
Marijuana has also been shown to be dramatically effective in glaucoma, a disease of the eyes characterized by increased pressure in the eye. Untreated glaucoma often leads to blindness. Marijuana reduces the pressure in the eye by about 25%, providing dramatic relief for some patients.

Even things like; Hemp (The most durable, natural fiber in the world) Oils, paper (Reducing tree slaughter by more than 25%) Can bee used for biodegradable Gasoline. I could go on for days and days, but Marijuana the most powerful medicinal plant known to mankind, needs to be accepted rather than drove to extinction.

Your title is a split infinitive.

easyOcean BRONZE, Hollis, New Hampshire

Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkein

To be great is to be misunderstood. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide

Awesome article. I love how you listed people and all these examples. All those little details make a difference on getting a point across. Honest work!

iDefinately agree wit NotYoursFroever .. pot should definately be legalized cuz no matter wat .. aint nobody gonna stop them pot heads from gettin wat they want .. Ha !!

ZombieDanceWithMe SILVER, Rockford, Illinois

“To die is nothing; but it is terrible not to live”

-Victor Hugo

agreed. 

I am all for pot legalization, honestly.

great article!

justagirl. GOLD, Waco, Georgia

"Maybe it’s not always about love and boys. Maybe it’s about the little crushes and flirts in between. It's the moments that are before the permanent that are the most beautiful, like when the sun’s rising or when it’s setting. Maybe those are the moments that are suppose to take your breath away."

Best article I've read so far. (: