Opposing the legilization of Mauijuana from a teenagers perspective | Teen Ink

Opposing the legilization of Mauijuana from a teenagers perspective

October 21, 2010
By hughesfan123 BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts
hughesfan123 BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein


Pot, weed, grass, dope. These are all commonly used nicknames for the hallucinogen drug marijuana. Since 1937 marijuana (or scientifically referred to as cannabis) has been illegal to have possession of more than a little shy of an ounce. Although in 1996 cannabis was made legal in California strictly for medical use only. Since that year thirteen more states have passed the “medical marijuana” law. This includes states such as Michigan, Nevada, Vermont, and even our Nations capital Washington D.C. has given the green stuff a chance. But to this day the drug still remains illicit in most states, and from my perspective I think it should stay that way. Now according to recent statistics reported from the National Survey on drug use and health, 39.8% of the American population has tried cannabis at least one time. The majority of the percent is High school and college students. This is no surprise because these grade levels are also very popular in the young adult and minor arrest percentage. In terms of younger drug use such as middle school students the drug use percentage is a parent-comforting 5.7 percent. However this number may seem low but I, along with many other people in the U.S. agree that it could be lower. Now we’ve all heard at least one person give the “I swear I’ve done it a million times and nothing happens you just get really calm, it’s not addictive” False. Although this is relatively true statement for some people pot is a potentially addictive drug. Marijuana’s main substance is called tetrahydrocannibinol (or THC for short). This is an ingredient that can cause short term memory loss and can also be toxic. Cannabis can be considered a somewhat “safe” drug, but this is only 100% true if you use it for medical reasons only and it has to be prescribed by your doctor. Let’s say that you are at a party, and there’s drinking and you’ve held off on the alcohol for the night because you know what it can do to you. Then one of your friends offers you a joint (marijuana cigarette) and gives you the speech that I told you before about it being not addictive. Before you make a possible life ruining decision, ask your self this question who is more likely to be right? A 17 year old high school student who maybe went to a few weeks worth of Drug Education that your school is required to give you, or a professional group of scientists who studied the drug and actually tested it in a lab. Well it’s your decision, make the assumption or make the right choice.

The author's comments:
At first i was going to encourage the legilization of the drug, but then I did some research and it only took one fact to change my mind. Maurijuana is addictive.