Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


on Feb. 1 2011 at 6:59 pm
alanahlovee BRONZE, Monroe, Ohio
2 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Bleeding heart, he called her. Well, he should know. He was the first one to tear it to pieces."- nineteen minutes, jodi picoult

Personally, I don't agree with your opinion. A lot of seniors in high school are 18 years old, and if we lower the drinking age to 18, many responsible students who wouldn't drink before because it was illegal and feared getting caught would then turn to alcohol, which could lead to an addiction and seriously affect their grades and habits. I believe that people who join the military at 18 should be allowed to drink. They're risking their lives for our country. But regular 18 year olds who, most of the time, still aren't really responsible enough to even live on their own? No way. Although younger people do drink, I can't imagine the amount of people who would turn to it if the drinking age was lowered. Really, alcohol does nothing for you at all except impair your judgement. People use it as a release. Should we be encouraging people who are barely 'adults' to pick up bad habits early?

on Jan. 31 2011 at 7:22 pm
xJuneBugx BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 14 comments
Actually, lowering the drinking age would put us in MORE danger. Your liver isn't fully developed by 18. There would be more deaths, not just because of accidents, but liver problems. Along with long term affects. I think the goal of the law is to steer high schoolers away from bad habits. The world has enough alchoholics as it is!

herpderp said...
on Jan. 28 2011 at 9:58 am
if you are 18 and in the military you actually are allowed to drink

yourdumb said...
on Jan. 27 2011 at 2:40 pm
so i guess we drink cause we want to break the law?? no your wrong we drink cause we like the feeling it gives us we think its funny bein stupid and waking up to turn around and laugh cause you dont remeber doin something

AKalata said...
on Jan. 27 2011 at 1:03 pm
AKalata, Lemont, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I agree with what your saying. If I can choose the leader of a nation at 18, legally kill someone and put my life at danger at 18, then why can't I have access to alcohol? All of these have their own level of responsibility, but if the drinking age is at 18, that defeats the feeling of rebelion teens get from it.

on Jan. 24 2011 at 7:54 am
Ryanbonbyan SILVER, Halifax, Other
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

I agree with this for the most part. I'm an English 17 year old and although I think our attitude to drinking and underage drinking is quite different with yours, setting the legal age to consume alcohol at 21, when your considered an adult at 18, seems idiotic.

And a side note - you must be with someone 18 or over to buy alcohol at a restaurant, although this law has many flaws, as it isn't regularly upheld, often misinterpreted, and on some occasions the chef has vouched to be the 'adult accompanying us'.

HPettit BRONZE said...
on Jan. 23 2011 at 10:45 pm
HPettit BRONZE, Cowpens, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

Last sentence of the first paragraph..I couldn't agree more! I actually did a project on this at school last sememster. I did a school wide survey of 9th through 12th grade..about 80% said they drinking age should not be 21...but lower.

on Jan. 22 2011 at 11:53 pm
xSprituallyInfluencedx, Omaha, Nebraska
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."
— Bob Marley

Why use alcohol? It's nothing more then just another trip to the hospital. People have their own opinions rather or not to use. Me, myself think the drinking age is perfect where its at, 21. If gets any lower it'll mess with our adolescents minds and tear them apart. Some parents, not in their right mind think it's apporpriate to by their child a drink, well it's not, but who i am to judge? Sometimes people do it because it's a religion thing, but other then that i don't think teens at that should have the right to drink. At the age of 21 you are eligable to take care of yourself and do things on your own, yes i know 18 your considered as an adult but yet your still young and have plenty of time to decided rather or not you want to drink. But who i am to judge , i am but nothing one human with an opinion. :)

thinker_girl said...
on Jan. 22 2011 at 9:35 pm
Some of us do obey the drinking age law. I pretty sure that I'm not going to loose control and go forth to drink once I get to college. The law is simply a reminder to my self control and conscience. The age is 21 for a reason, one of them maturity. I know that some of my peers drink and do drugs. I also know that if they had free reign, many of them would be veggie-fied by 30. The difference between a 16, 18 and 21 year old is generally maturity. I know that not all 21 year olds have self control and I know that many 16 year olds are intelligent enough not to completely mess up their lives. But generally, by 21, you can't baby someone anymore. Up until then, hopefully they still respect their parents enough not to defy sense in a few moments of unthinking rashness.

head sean said...
on Jan. 22 2011 at 8:10 pm
its like saying we should make everything free if u can get it. or like saying even though people can get pot it should be legal. i agree with you on lowering the age but not for those reasons. in uk then can have some wine not get drunk when there 18 at reaustrants. it gets kids prepared for when they leauve the house. at least thats my opion

on Jan. 22 2011 at 4:48 pm
Hmm... Interesting article. I'm not sure if I'm inclined to agree or disagree, but I do feel the need to mention that some parents will allow their underage children to have alcohol. It's technically illegal, but it happens.

StoryWeaver said...
on Jan. 22 2011 at 1:51 pm
StoryWeaver, Alaska
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
How many slams in an old screen door?
Depends how loud you shut it.
How many slices in a bread?
Depends how thin you cut it.
How much good inside a day?
Depends how good you live 'em.
How much love inside a friend?
Depends how much you give 'em.

I honestly have to disagree. The law doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it, either way it'll be considered "cool." I hate drinking, and it isn't good for you, especially when your body and mind are still growing and changing. Besides, underage drinking is only going to breed out an alcoholic when they're older. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree.

on Jan. 22 2011 at 1:26 pm
GreenEyedGirl15 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas
4 articles 0 photos 95 comments
I have to say that i thouroughly disagree with this. The human brain doesnt fully devolope until you are around 21. Before that, its as if you are using a walnut to make all of your decisions at that point, since that is about as big as that area is at the time. Alcohol and drugs are already misused widely throughout the world, and does not need to be encouraged, especially to those who are still developing. It would not lower the percentage of teens drinking, in fact it would make the problem much worse. As for your point, about the military, yes it is a younger age to be enlisted, but holding a gun and protecting your country is far different from destroying your brain with useless substances. Also, many teens die in accidents happening when a legal adult is DUI. Having teens drink would raise the amount of accidents by at least twice the amount. Advertisements are already telling teens its okay, so do we really need a law to do it too? It destroys many people's lives, bodies, and families. Let's not make it worse... Sorry if this sounded rude, but I am one of those people that feel very strongly about it. Thanks.

on Jan. 22 2011 at 12:33 pm
Niya_Smilees GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
13 articles 0 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live in the moment because reality hurts."

truthfully , kids are gonna do what they want ! 18 yr olds drink 16 year olds drink 14 year olds drink! it realy doesnt matter what the law says now days because teens do what they want .

AshTree SILVER said...
on Jan. 22 2011 at 11:26 am
AshTree SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee
7 articles 0 photos 196 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live your art" -made this one up myself. Simple, but true.

Personally, I don't agree with this. I respect your opinion but believe it is not correct. Lowering the drinking age means the responsible teens who don't want to be caught will begin to drink because it is accepted. I dont believe it will help those in school still to be drun.k  and not get in trouble for it. The consequences would be great. Immature people drinking and doing dumb stunts. It could result in deaths obviously if they drive afterwards. Also drinking and driving would happen more often and more crashes. I just think it isn't very smart.

on Jan. 22 2011 at 12:25 am
interstatefive BRONZE, Granite Bay, California
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

That's a nice thought but there's noway it'll ever happen.

on Jan. 22 2011 at 12:24 am
interstatefive BRONZE, Granite Bay, California
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

It's not that Americans are more irresponsible with it. The same people who abuse it illegally would abuse it if it was illegal, and those who obey the law and don't drink probably wouldn't very often anyways. There's no way that argument holds up, especially since the frontal lobe, which controls judgement, isn't fully formed in teenagers, in any country.

on Jan. 22 2011 at 12:20 am
interstatefive BRONZE, Granite Bay, California
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Lowering the drink age would be one of the stupidest things to happen. Before being around 20-23 the human brain is not fully developed, and alcohol consumption affects that development. 21 is not an arbitrary age, because drinking before that damages the brain irreparably. just because people do it anyway doesn't mean it should happen. 

Lunadoe said...
on Jan. 17 2011 at 9:43 pm
Lunadoe, Las Vegas, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There's a thin line between bravery and stupidity. Smart people know not to cross it"-Me

Is ‘fat’ really the worst thing a human being can be? Is ‘fat’ worse than ‘vindictive’, ‘jealous’, ‘shallow’, ‘vain’, ‘boring’ or ‘cruel’? Not to me.”-J.K. Rowling

I agree with you.

bri_bri said...
on Jan. 14 2011 at 12:53 pm
bri_bri, Lancaster, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
i think it really stupid i would never do something to my body like that but i dont really think its right to smoke or drink enless your the legal age but i mean it there body theyre doing it to