Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

Legalizing Marijuana

According to the 2012 Monitoring the Future study, which the federal government uses to track drug use among teenagers, 22.9 percent of high school seniors used cannabis in the past month. Does that show you a trend at all? Do you think teens smoke marijuana just to fit in or be cool. More teenagers smoke marijuana now than they do cigarettes. My opinion is that there are certain reasons marijuana should be legalized for.

In 2010, more than 746,000 people were arrested in the USA for marijuana-related offenses alone. That would take so many arrest of the charts. We need to worry about more of the real crimes on the streets not smoking marijuana. If it was on this earth it was made to be used, it is not a chemical drug. Marijuana grows just like every other plant. Hard drugs you can not grow off a plant.

Marijuana is literally the least toxic substances known. If there using marijuana to treat cancer than it can not be harmful to normal body’s. They say its bad because it’s a gateway drug, U.S. governments own statistics show that 75% of people who smoke marijuana never use harder drugs.

Also there are no addicting substances in marijuana. Using such blatantly-flawed logic, alcohol should be considered the gateway drug because most cocaine and heroin addicts began their drug use with beer or wine–not marijuana.

They say usage of heavy marijuana may cause learning disabilities, they say heavy and may. If a student doesn’t want to learn there not going to. There have been 0 recorded deaths due to marijuana. Alcohol is a substance that has caused many deaths and is still legal. Marijuana is sometimes used as a drug for pain and to calm you down.

When you drink alcohol you get mad and you are oblivious. Smoking marijuana you are high just like taking prescription medicine. Teens over use marijuana and that can be harmful. So many arrest wouldn’t take place and people could be happy. There is no proof of third-party harm being caused by users of marijuana, yet third-party harm is caused by substances such as tobacco and alcohol, both of which are lawful. That is my opinion on legalizing marijuana.