My Ex-Teen Icon | Teen Ink

My Ex-Teen Icon MAG

July 21, 2009
By Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois
Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not pity the dead. Pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love."


The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.


The author's comments:
Hey, my name is Margaret. I'm 15 and considering becoming a journalist. When I mentioned this to my dad, he encouraged me to practice writing, as I have obviously done so. My work is nothing great, but I hope you like it. I know it has too much teenage attitude to be published as news, but your site sounds very open to all types of writing, so I hope you'll appreciate my work for its own personality. However, if not, I completely understand. I'll just keep practicing.
The work I have pasted here is simply my own thoughts after having come across a cereal box endorsed by Hannah Montana.
Enjoy!

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 208 comments.


on Aug. 30 2011 at 7:32 am
RhythmAndRhyme BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 91 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." ~~Josh Groban

I completely and utterly share your exact opinion. Wow. Nice article! This was spectacularly written! :)

on Jul. 26 2011 at 7:45 pm
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other
41 articles 0 photos 650 comments

Favorite Quote:
‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

This article is so true. About Miley, I think she became what she became because of pressure. Being a celebrity is a tough job. Maybe that's the reason why celebrities start from good to bad, or bad to bad. :(

Good job with you article though. :)

on Jul. 17 2011 at 4:31 pm
LifeWrite PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
44 articles 14 photos 53 comments
Could you also take a look at my article "Lost Education?"? I'd love to have your feedback on it!

on Jul. 17 2011 at 4:31 pm
LifeWrite PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
44 articles 14 photos 53 comments
Ugh! I could not agree with you more!! The way celebrities become the means of propaganda and advertisements makes me want to scream, "Is there ANYONE in this world who is REAL???" And your writing is very good, too by the way! You could definitely be a journalist; if not news, definitely opinion or feature! Keep at it--you totally have potential! :)

hanny81292 said...
on Jul. 17 2011 at 4:19 pm
i think thats great! but as a child im sure your inhibitions werent set as high as they are now, which is what miley was when she recieved the opprotunity, a child. my point is to be a star might not be everyones dreams, but we ALL have moments of selfishness where we want to do something for ourselves and not consider the consequence

on Jul. 17 2011 at 3:50 pm
BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
42 articles 11 photos 333 comments
If people just ignore everything that is wrong in the world then human civilization would collapse under the weight of its own evil. Would you ignore murder or rape? Sure these things are much more terrible than the whole mily cyrus thing, but I beleive in principles. If I give up my principles because I think that it won't hurt anyone this time then next I'll give up that much easier.

on Jul. 17 2011 at 3:43 pm
BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
42 articles 11 photos 333 comments
I would turn it down. I don't care about fame or money for it's own sake. I want to change the world by helping people who need help.

Mmbusch BRONZE said...
on Jun. 18 2011 at 4:37 pm
Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not pity the dead. Pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love."

Right, I see your point. 

Ramsha S. said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 11:19 pm

I agree with Mmbusch. She should be even more careful with her choice of clothing and aware that millions of girls worldwide view her as a role model.

And by that age, teens know very well what people should wear (or how much in her case) and the consequences of their actions. We're not little kids, we know exactly what we're doing. 


hanny81292 said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 10:40 pm

Let me ask you something, if you had the opprotunity as a child to become a disney star would you not have taken it? and if when that kicked off you had they opprotunity to branch out into your own artist would you not have taken that either?

Miley Cyrus recieved the opprotunity of a life time and took it, and every single one of us would have as well. now to my point, the reason that Miley, Britteny, Linsday, and Jamie Lynn all turned out they way they did is because it is not healthy for a maturing child to be under that kind of scrutiny. A person her age is still trying to figure out who they are, and with so many people telling you who to be and who not to be, half the time with the opinions of being completely opposite, you grow rebelious without the ability to please.

my point being; maybe you dont live the same way as miley, but i can almost garuntee you have not faced the pressure or attack she has, nor can you judge your life against someone elses. people think that just because someone is a star that means that they are the publics own personal punching bag, but i dont see how their lives are any of our business. i challenge you not to become like the media and gossip rags today, but to focus your skills towards shedding light on things that truely matter. be humble as you say you are, and show mercy to the "stars", because neither you nor i have walked a day in their shoes.


on Jun. 3 2011 at 7:21 pm
Carly Mackenzie, Los Angeles, California
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I really like this article. I also really like that the picture is of Owl City.

Mmbusch BRONZE said...
on May. 29 2011 at 6:59 pm
Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not pity the dead. Pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love."

Well, I appreciate your friendly concern but fortunately I am on no high horse. I wish you could meet me, though, and understand that I am not a pretentious person that slews out criticism on people I've never met. 

I'm merely giving my opinion in the most artistic way I can. Miley Cyrus has made herself a public figure and as such she incurs the result of her fame, which is that she will be judged and talked about, particularly when she corrupts her former role-model image to my generation. 

And I'm being completely honest. I'm 17 (so younger than she) and sure I fool around sometimes but I at least amend my mistakes and learn lessons that help me become a more humble, honest, and good person. I've never, though, repeatedly made the same mistakes as Miss Miley, nor abused my reputation or been so carelessly disregarded how my actions might be perceived. 

Miley Cyrus isn't making any more family-friendly entertainment, so this article isn't so relevant anymore.  But when she was, she had the responsibility to be a good role model to the millions of young girls who wanted to be her. 

Don't think I'm so thick headed as to deny her the right to do and say what she wants. But let's get real here. She needs to take her fame and money with a grain of salt and get those priorities straight before she becomes TMZ's next celebrity mug shot of the year. 


Sunshine445 said...
on May. 14 2011 at 5:35 pm

WiseChild: 

Of course she can make mistakes. I'm sure you've made just as many mistakes as her, but hers are more exaggerated because she's more well known than you are. Get off your high horse and understand that 18 is still very young, and that she's allowed to make a mistake or two. In my opinion,she's trashy and she's getting the wrong kind of attention, but it's the job of parents to protect their kids from this stuff, and otherwise, it isn't polluting anyones mind, so why the heck can't she dress as she wishes and act how she wants?


on May. 12 2011 at 6:46 pm
PurpleNerd BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Are you doing what you're supposed to be doing?

Hey! Great work that's so cool that you show your attitude through your work. I'm also 15 and have put some poetry on this website as well. If you want to talk just look up PurpleNerd. I'd be glad to see how well this has benifited you in wanting to become a journalist. Good luck with all you do.

on May. 12 2011 at 5:09 pm

Let the girl do her. As with anything- If you don't like it, stay away from it. Shes beautiful and  I bet she gets some damn good coke, so if you don't like it why don't you all become famous and make a better example of America. She's a teen just like us after all, embrase it.

And as you wanting to be a Journalist thats awsome, Our generation of America needs some great, open eyed, painfully honest writers to represent us. But don't get sucked into cliques like writing about Disney characters. Don't practice journalism by repition of writing, practice by opening your mind to the things that even YOU are agaisnt... And Im sure it's not your style, but please check out some HUnter S. Thompson if you havent already, he's a great example of producing journalistic gold and giving generational represention by breaking all the rules of the previous generations and truly being himself.

 

"Don't hate, Just ignore"


on May. 12 2011 at 1:28 pm
.iloveyou. GOLD, Evansville, Wyoming
14 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are but two certainties in life; death and taxes." Ben Franklin

"But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas." 

That is too funny. Great way to end a paper. :)


on Apr. 29 2011 at 12:56 pm
DeniC483 SILVER, New Haven, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live"- unknown

Amen!!! I completely agree!!

on Apr. 20 2011 at 11:09 pm
AfterLife SILVER, Amityville, New York
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
\" Icing Over A Secret Pain \" Third Eye Blind Song \"Jumper\"

that is true how she went down hill like that. I use to like her myself but then that stuff happen. Okay she changed and grow up cool so have I. then she lost it plus the Media didn't help. and your going to be a great Jounalist CONGRAS on that.

on Apr. 20 2011 at 11:21 am
rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia
12 articles 2 photos 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney

It's sad really, how her career has taken a complete U-Turn for the worst! I was in 4th grade when she hit it big, and I was a totally devoted obsessed fan. When the Hannah Montana 3D Concert Experience came out (of course being a huge fan I went to see it), in our local newspaper, someone had published a movie review. Being the fan that I was, it was Hannah Memorobelia, so of course I saved it. The other day I found this newspaper article, and read over it. A particular sentence that stood out was "Lets hope this wholesome popstar remains that way- and doesn't turn into the next Britney Spears." Cringing, I put the article down, knowing thats exactly what had happened. What with the innappropriate pictures plastered on the web and her risky release of "Can't Be Tamed". I'm still a fan from her music, but she no longer holds the place as my favorite singer. She has talent, and I really hope she changes her attitude, or she'll be another one of the many washed-up singers we find in jail. I really hope not.

leafy said...
on Mar. 7 2011 at 4:50 pm
leafy, City, Other
0 articles 0 photos 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

hannah montana was uber-popular when i was in 3rd-5th grade and i never really liked her. frankly, it kinda confused me why people would like her acting and music, i cringe almost every time i hear it. and about you article, i think its pretty good! i hope you continue your hope as a journalist and end up being one! (btw have you ever been to the newseum in d.c.? you might be interested considering your career choice)