Save the Bees | Teen Ink

Save the Bees

April 10, 2019
By trevormil BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
trevormil BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bees are slowly vanishing into extinction, and although they were very annoying at certain times, the memories I had with them overall were very fun. The most vivid memory that pops into my mind is attempting to avoid them while playing basketball on my driveway. They would love to hang around this one boring, flowerless bush on the side of my driveway for some reason, and I would dread going near it whenever I missed a shot. My mom always told me to stand still when confronted by one, but it was hard for me not to panic during the heat of the moment. As you can see, I was terrified from head to toe of those bees up close, but from afar, I can recognize their importance to society and the environment. My childhood wouldn’t have been the same without them, and kids in the future won’t share any memories with them which is heartbreaking. My sadness not only stems from the personal memories but also to the environmental harm their absence will cause.

A world without bumble bees is like writing without punctuation. It can still function, but it won’t be the same. It will eventually seem normal, but it will never be as efficient or great as it once was. Our human greed for money and wealth has taken many innocent animals’ lives, and the annoying part is that it could’ve all been avoided if we just had a little self control on when to stop. For me, it just feels wrong and makes me sad especially since we are responsible for this. We don’t need to keep cutting down all these habitats just for the sake of junk mail or other useless things. All of this is harming the environment drastically, but the absence of bees will harm it even more.

If you don’t feel sad or recognize their importance to the environment, you will soon see because bees are pollinators of about 90% of the world’s food crops. We won’t go completely hungry because other insects can assume the role of pollinators, but it will be a lot less efficient. Even if science develops a new way to sustain our need for food, their absence will be felt in numerous other ways. Plants and other animals will eventually become extinct due to not enough flowers being grown for shelter or food. Without replacing them, the environment will crumble a lot more than it already has. Some may say that this isn’t the end of the world, but it could very well be the start of it. Bees going away could be the catalyst that begins the slow destruction of our planet, so we need to do anything possible to save the bees.