Something BIG, But Not Yet Acknowledged | Teen Ink

Something BIG, But Not Yet Acknowledged

By 22ep01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
22ep01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Trash is a big thing in our world. It’s what’s left when you're done with almost anything. Recycling is a big part of the world that definitely not everyone does. Where does the trash and recycling that we don't take care of go? Oceans and trash is something that has been a big thing now for about 14 years now.

Trash, recycling, marine life. How does each of these affect each other? The fact that almost everyone in the world has been throwing trash out instead of recycling. The trash that makes it into the oceans and the marine animals think that its food and digest it...killing them, or making them severely ill.

People have been talking about trash in the oceans, how it’s building upon the shores of the Galapagos Island, on the beaches of Hawaii, and now an island of trash that's about the size of Texas. Many people have tried to make a net to clear the trash, to catch it, or just to dispose it. Having the nets there could endanger marine life and with the Ocean Cleanup, many people are doubting it’ll be safe.

“The way the ocean works I think it would be near impossible for there to be zero impacts to marine wildlife from this device trapping everything at the surface.”  Eden Schwartz. Taking the trash and just simply putting it into the recycling bin is easier than saving marine life and having to pick it all up as it parades our waters.

It’s said the Ocean Cleanup is only getting a very small percentage of the plastics in the ocean. We have over eight million metric tons of trash in the ocean. In 2014, there was about 27,000 tons of plastic in the oceans, but only three percent was floating on the surface. The rest sinks and get washed up shore or eaten by marine animals. Some plastic, even microscopic pieces, are frozen in the Arctic ice. The probability of the Ocean Cleanup cleaning 90% of ocean plastic in the ocean by 2040 may be high, but at the time it’s a little low.

Not many people think about it as a big problem, but it could make drastic changes some day.