A Simplified Version of COP26 | Teen Ink

A Simplified Version of COP26

November 28, 2021
By claubustamantel BRONZE, Lima, Other
claubustamantel BRONZE, Lima, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What is COP26?

In 1992, 197 countries agreed to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. Those 197 nations are referred to as Parties. Since then, COP stands for Conference of Parties. Where those nations reunite to talk about how to tackle the environmental problems that we face today. The first one was in 1995 in Berlin, Germany. This year's Conference is the 26th annual reunion, hence the COP26. 

The main purpose of this Conference was “to put the world on a path to aggressively cut greenhouse gas emissions and slow Earth's warming” (The Washington Post, 2021). It took place in Glasgow, Scotland between the 31st of October and the 12th of November.

The 2015 Paris Agreement (COP 21)

Before we talk about what was achieved in COP26, it's important to know about the Paris Agreement. COP21 was a groundbreaking event where poor and rich countries agreed to tackle environmental problems. The principal accord was to maintain the global temperature below 2 degrees Celsius (above pre-industrial levels) and aim for 1.5 degrees – thus the beginning of the 1.5 degrees. 

Meeting this target means that almost 200 countries have to reduce their emissions faster than before. Also, the wealthiest nations should aid the most vulnerable ones financially to build economies that won’t depend on fossil fuels and adapt them to the impacts of global warming (The New York Times, 2021).

Another concept to keep in mind is Net-zero: The state in which there are no more greenhouse emissions, or there is a balance between the emissions going into the atmosphere and the removal of the same. It is expected to be fulfilled by 2050. 

COP26 purposes

1. Secure global net-zero by 2050 and make 1.5 degrees possible. The countries involved were asked to bring plans to reduce the emissions to help fulfill the net-zero goal. According to the UKCOP26 page, the parties will need to:

- accelerate the phase-out of coal
- curtail deforestation
- speed up the switch to electric vehicles
- encourage investment in renewables.

2. Protect communities and natural habitats.

The nations are asked and encouraged to protect and restore ecosystems, build a resilient infrastructure to avoid loss of homes and lives, build defenses, etc.

3. Mobilize finance.

The involved developed countries are being told to act on their promise of the Paris Agreement to give at least 100 billion dollars in climate finance to help reach the net-zero and 1.5-degrees goals.

4. Collaboration

Finalize the Paris Rulebook, which are the rules the make the Paris Agreement work, and encourage the union of the countries to achieve the climate goals. 

Were these goals achieved?

Now the most crucial part. Were any of these goals achieved? Yes! According to the COP26 page, advancement was made a few weeks ago in Glasgow. The next information is taken by the official PDF of COP26. If you wish to go in-depth of any of the following information, feel free to do it at the next link file:///C:/Users/USER/Downloads/COP26-Presidency-Outcomes-The-Climate-Pact.pdf 

1. Secure global net-zero by 2050 and make 1.5 degrees possible. 

A. Over 90% of the world GDP is covered by net-zero commitments.

B. Countries agreed to come back for COP27 with more ambitious plans to reduce the global temperature and put forward the 2030 emissions targets (1.5 degrees). 

C. For COP27 there will be a new UN climate program on mitigation.

D. They finalized the Paris Rulebook.

E. Commitments were made to move away from coal power, reverse and stop deforestation, reduce methane emissions, and switch to electric vehicles. 

PAGES IN THE PDF: p. 9-15

2. Protect communities and natural habitats.

A. 80 countries are committed to increasing preparedness for climate risks.

B. The Glasgow-Sharm el-Sheikh Work Program on the Global Goal on Adaption was agreed upon. This will improve the adaptation action (adjustments to ecological, social, or economic systems in response to actual context), being accorded to double the 2019 levels of adaptation finance by 2025. 

PAGES IN THE PDF: p. 16-18

3. Finance

A. Developed countries agreed to deliver the 100 billion dollars by 2023 at the latest. 

B. 34 countries and five public financial institutions will stop international support to the fossil fuel energy sector next year.

C. Private financial institutions and banks will organize their money to give trillions to the net-zero goal.

PAGES IN THE PDF: p. 19-22

4. Collaboration

A. The Glasgow agreements will accelerate the collaboration between governments, businesses, and civil societies to achieve climate goals. 

B. The agreements of the Enhanced Transparency Framework to deliver information on the emissions and the support.

PAGES IN THE PDF: p. 23-26

I wish I could explain way more about this Conference, but I know that too much information too fast can be stressful and overwhelming. If you have any doubts or questions feel free to ask! Let’s get informed and try our best to save our world. 


The author's comments:

All the information presented is very important to know. I hope more people will get interested in learning about the environment. 

Links used for this opinion:

nytimes.com/article/what-is-cop26-climate-change-summit.html#link-24356d20 

ukcop26.org/cop26-goals/

file:///C:/Users/USER/Downloads/COP26-Presidency-Outcomes-The-Climate-Pact.pdf

*All information belongs to their respective owners. They are being used only for informational purposes.