Feeding Our Country, in More Ways Than One | Teen Ink

Feeding Our Country, in More Ways Than One

May 2, 2022
By c_adding25 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
c_adding25 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My Grandma and Grandpa have a farm outside Zumbrota, Minnesota, that they used to raise dairy cows on, but now just do beef cattle. In the past few years, the stacks of square bales have been stretched down in long stacks near their drying bins, adjacent to Highway 52. My grandparents used the bales’ position to their advantage, painting agricultural awareness phrases on the bales for drivers to see. The most prominent one that I remember reading: ‘Without farmers, you would be hungry, naked, and sober. Now, the last part was a bit of a laugh, but being hungry and naked without farmers would be a very real situation. The agricultural industry is the backbone of the American economy, and it is needed in the US and worldwide for so many of our everyday essential items, which should not be overlooked. The biggest supporting factors of this are the need for agricultural products, the economic impact of this industry, the employment rate, and finally, the need for inspiring another generation of agriculturalists. 

Wake up in the morning, get dressed, shower, brush those teeth, and eat breakfast. Then get in the car and drive to work. Just these simple steps of getting ready contained at least 5 ties to the agricultural industry. Farmers supply so many of our everyday essentials, food and fiber, and even some things that are quite unexpected. 7 Ways Agriculture Affects Your Everyday Life, by Rachael Stroop published March 15, 2017, on Farm Flavor, lists a few of these, including hand soaps, ink for lettering in books, and certain sports equipment, not to mention all of the food we consume every day. Farmers help provide these items that make our lives luxurious,  and taking it all in, the thought of having to go without the numerous agricultural items we use is unbearable, even impossible. The agricultural industry is considered essential as defined by “those who conduct a range of operations and services that are typically essential to continue critical infrastructure operations” according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. This is the reason during the thick of the covid pandemic agriculture didn’t just shut down. The article 2020 US Agricultural Exports, published May 1, 2021, shows that in 2020, the US had a 7% increase from 2019 in ag exports to other countries, the second-highest on record. The need for ag stood strong, even when other businesses and industries were forced to shut down. And just like farmers are standing firm in the US, they are boosting the economy as well.

The economic impact of agriculture has long played a key role in the GDP of our country. According to a USDA report titled Ag and Food Sectors and the Economy, published on February 24, 2022, by Kathleen Kassel, says that agricultural industries produced $1.055 trillion to the US GDP in 2020. This is a large 5% of the total US gross domestic product of the total $20.94 trillion in 2020. But it's not just agriculture on its own, the items produced in this industry help supply work and benefit other sectors’ GDP as well. Food items need packaging, shipping, and retail, which all are other areas that supply the US GDP.  Without agriculture adding so much to our overall economy, the US might not have the largest economy in the world. Agriculture is defined by many as an industry, but it holds a very personal effect as well.

The industry of agriculture and farming also provides a lifestyle to farmers and other agriculturalists alike. My grandpa, for example, has always lived on the same family farm outside Zumbrota, Minnesota. He has never moved. His farm has a very important place in his heart, and he takes pride in what he does. The US Department of Agriculture states that total employment related to agriculture was 10.3% of US employment, 1.4% being directly working on a farm. Totaling up to nearly 20 million jobs, this is a huge fraction of the US workforce, becoming a huge factor for supporting families and themselves. This industry is one supporting the world, the US, and individuals. The problem is though, that the agriculture employment rate, especially among farmers themselves, is declining. This is especially visible in the world agriculture employment rate, according to Resource Watch’s article Map of the Month: How Many People Work in Agriculture? By Emily Cassidy and Amelia Snyder, published May 30, 2019, has gone down from 44% of the world population to about 28%. The next goal though is to continue to promote the future of agriculture to the next generation because the future of agriculture is strong. 

Finally, inspiring the next generation of agriculturalists and keeping the industry strong. 10  Reasons Ag Education Should Be a Top Priority, published March 30, 2019, on Thistle Down Farms says that the average age of US farmers is 58, the oldest average age of any industry in the US economy. As these farmers get older, there have to be more generations ready to be a part of the industry in the future. There are lots of ways that agriculture is being promoted throughout the US, including the FFA and 4H Organizations, both promoting a future in agriculture for youth. These extracurriculars and being involved in agriculture classes in school can help inspire possible future career paths and ideas. From showing livestock to leadership positions, there are many options when it comes to developing a career path through FFA or 4H. Apart from creating a workforce, there have been some extreme ideas of completely reinventing agriculture and its methods, such as entirely vertical farming, or switching to complete organics. This is not a likely outcome for all agriculture, in my opinion, although they are insightful. Farming has and will continue to have “Better days through better ways” as the FFA Creed says, and bettering agriculture through developments in our current methods of growing crops, livestock genetics, harvesting, processing, and tillage to solve problems agriculture is faced with in today’s world. This is the more sensible approach rather than overturning centuries of discoveries and toils in the industry. All of these things can help continue to build the future of agriculture and farming.

One of the most important careers in our country and worldwide, agriculture has always had a special place in the US. Just seeing that in our everyday lives, looking around and seeing the impacts in everyday life, the economical benefits, the huge employment whether it's just in the US or worldwide, and finally the future of farming. The state of agriculture in the US reflects our future. So, driving down Highway 52 and seeing that phrase, remember how much we all need agriculture and thank a farmer!