Diesel emissions are too high | Teen Ink

Diesel emissions are too high

May 2, 2022
By bchavez45 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
bchavez45 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One day my brother bought a used 2005 chevy Duramax from his coworker. The thing was mint. It had line x on the rocker panels and a quarter way up the doors. Well, the guy never drove it in the winter so all the fenders and the bed had no rust on them. It was super loud too since he took off all the emissions stuff. Trucks back then barely had any emissions but 6 years later the emissions standards were way higher than what they were in 2005. Nowadays I feel like emission standards are just way too high. In this essay, I will be telling people why it costs more, the engine problems that the emissions nowadays could do to an engine, and what the standards should be.

A big problem with the emissions standards that affect engines is EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation). EGR is a system that takes exhaust gas from a diesel's exhaust manifold and reintroduces it into the intake of the engine to reduce the combustion chamber temperature This is all according to the “motor trend” by David Kennedy from May 1, 2011. After a while, they will fail from the carbon particles which will cause a reduction in power, reduced acceleration, and decreased fuel efficiency this is all according to the website “Stoneacre” by Lisa Simm from July 2018. An upside to having a lot of emissions on a truck is the exhaust weighs a lot so weighs down the truck. The heavier the truck is the more confidence someone can tow with this is according to the website “payment gm” from February 7, 2017. With that big exhaust pipe that comes with the truck is going to cost more to make the vehicle.

Usually, the exhaust is made out of aluminized steel which is carbon steel that has been coated with aluminum-silicon. Also, aluminized steel can withstand 900 degrees Fahrenheit. This is all according to the website “Hascall steel” from march 13, 2018. A used stock exhaust for a 2015 dodge Cummins would average from 1,000 to 1,500 so just imagine what a brand new one would cost. A straight pipe can cost from 500 to maybe 800 but those are the nice ones. And the stock ones all the regulations on them so its going to cost way more then it should.

Trucks should come with barely any emissions I mean I guess they can still come with DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). DEF helps reduce NOx and air pollution this is all according to “ricochet fuel’ from June 29, 2020and maybe some people don't like loud trucks with barely any emissions. The truck is going to be pretty loud. But people like me I don't care about that and try to make it louder if I can and of course, the EPA would probably let this happen, I understand though they just want to have cleaner air and stuff like that. But those emissions are not too good for the engine.

In conclusion, a lot of emission on a truck causes a lot of engine problems and it will cost more to make the truck so it will cost more to buy. Diesel emissions are just too high and after some people buy a brand new one it cost a lot to get rid of all the emissions. And of course, they  have to get it tuned and if they want to get rid of DEF. to fully delete a truck which means to take all the emissions out and the DEF and the EGR could cost up to 4850 depending on which shop somebody takes it to this is all according to “auto masterx” by James Noah from November 17, 2021. It cost a lot of money for my brother to fully delete his truck.