Should Big Game Hunting Be Legal? | Teen Ink

Should Big Game Hunting Be Legal?

By rwissanji26 BRONZE, Nairobi, Hawaii
rwissanji26 BRONZE, Nairobi, Hawaii

Each year, roughly 125,000 animals are killed for trophies. Trophy hunting is known as the death of an animal only for entertainment and to make money. Many hunters kill wild animals for trophies by displaying their bodies on their walls and in photographs. Big game hunting must not be considered a sport, yet it is even though animals are killed for no reason. On the other hand, big game hunting is rewarding and gives people a sense of achievement.

Big game hunting is effective for many people in a good way. People say, "trophy hunting could end poaching, It controls the animal population," and much more. It fulfills many people's dreams and makes their lives easier. "Poaching is purely illegal. If trophy hunting is advocated for, of course controllably, it can provide incentives to end poaching." (Conserve Energy).

Others say that trophy hunting saves people's lives. Seeing African game like elephants and lions on vacation, particularly for the first time, is a truly fantastic experience. However, living with them on a daily is a whole other deal entirely. People wouldn't like it if leopards and lions stole their livestock or if elephants were destroying their crops. When animals and humans conflict, people get ver. This article says that if you see wild animals on vacation, it is a fantastic experience. Still, if you live in a world where animals can ruin your life by stealing your food and eating/smashing your crops, life could be challenging and even dangerous. Big game hunters can help with that problem and make some people's lives easier.

The benefits of Big Game/Trophy Hunting were presented earlier, but there are still many disadvantages of Trophy Hunting. It is not illegal, like poaching, but there is certainly a debate about whether it should be banned. Mellisa Bachman posted a picture of her killing a lion, but not everyone was on her side. "Big game hunting is not an excuse for killing animals, especially when 75% of wild lions have been killed in the last 20 years." This quote talks about how Trophy hunting/Big game hunting is a type of hunting in which a part of the animal is saved as a memento to celebrate the hunt. Unlike poaching, it is not illegal, but there is still a concern about it, and there is a high chance that it is linked. 

Trophy hunting is an awful and brutal sport. This article states, "Trophy hunting is a controversial and brutal practice in which hunters pay to kill wild animals, predominantly for "fun."Trophy hunters target many species, but the most iconic and expensive species to hunt are the Big Five: the lion, elephant, leopard, rhinoceros(both black and white) as well as Cape buffalo. Many of these animals are already endangered. For example, just 20,000 lions are left in the wild, while tens of thousands of elephants are poached each year for their ivory. There are about 25,000 wild rhinos in Africa, and more than 1,000 are killed each year illegally in South Africa alone. Trophy hunting perpetuates these issues by adding to the already high demand for fragile animals. The article indicates that trophy hunting is a questionable and harsh hunting technique in which sportsmen pay to kill wild animals to get a trophy. The hunter keeps parts of the animal, mainly the head. Trophy hunting, which takes the form of endangered animals, targets animals both in the wild and in captivity. The Big Five: lion, elephant, leopard, rhino(black and white), and Cape buffalo are the most iconic and expensive species to hunt. Many of these animals are already critically endangered. For example, just 20,000 lions are left in the wild, while tens of thousands of elephants are poached each year for their ivory. There are about 25,000 wild rhinos in Africa, and more than 1,000 are killed each year illegally in South Africa alone. Trophy hunting exacerbates these issues by adding to the stress on already fragile animals.

Finally, Big Game Hunting can have positive and negative impacts on the environment but is more damaging. While no single action will stop and reverse all the problems of Trophy Hunting, making it illegal will be more helpful for nearly everyone. Making Big Game Hunting illegal will do a lot for the economy. Populations could rise in number because there is a very high chance that this is linked to poaching. Big Game Hunting should be illegal.

Works Cited

"Benefits of Big Game Hunting." Pros Of Big Game Hunting, www.conserve-energy-future.com/trophy-hunting.php. Accessed 12 May 2022.

"Benefits of Hunting: Why Hunting Is Good For Wildlife." Benefits of Big Game/Trophy Hunting, biggamehuntingadventures.com/benefits-of-hunting/.

"5 Reasons Trophy Hunting Is Not Conservation." Disadvantages of Big Game Hunting, www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/5-reasons-trophy-hunting-is-not-conservation/.

"The Problem with Trophy Hunting." The Problem with Trophy Hunting, www.bornfreeusa.org/campaigns/wildlife-trade/trophy-hunting/.

"What's Wrong with Trophy Hunting?" The disadvantages of Big Game Hunting, www.bornfreeusa.org/campaigns/wildlife-trade/trophy-hunting/.