Solving Excess Use of Plastic Crisis in the United States | Teen Ink

Solving Excess Use of Plastic Crisis in the United States

February 7, 2023
By Anonymous

The United States is facing a growing crisis of plastic waste, generating over 46.3 million tons of plastic every year, according to a 2020 study published in Science Advances. The unfortunate truth is, less than 10% of it is recycled. Plastic pollution is not only an environmental issue, but it also poses a big threat to human health and the planet as a whole. As stated in a 2019 Reuters infographic, humans ingest about five grams of plastic every week – a spoonful that weighs about as much as a bottle cap and equivalent to about half a rice bowl. Combined throughout a year, the amount of plastic we ingest amounts to a full dinner plate. In 10 years’ time, we would have eaten five pounds of plastic and 44 pounds worth of plastics over the course of a lifetime. But where is the problem stemming from? 

Consumer Reports claim, “If it’s [plastic] not recycled – and it’s usually not – it is landfilled, incinerated, or littered.” Even when you toss your soda can away into a recycling bin, only 8.7% of it gets recycled. The rate of growth of municipal solid waste (MSW) is so fast that it is expected to double by 2050, and we will have more plastic trash than fish in the ocean. Confucianism, a 2,500-year-old ancient Chinese philosophy, can help solve this problem through its ethical and moral values.

Confucianism emphasizes the importance of social order, responsibility, and respect for the environment. According to Confucianism, individuals have a duty to act in ways that benefit society as a whole and to respect the environment. These values are particularly relevant to the issue of plastic waste, as plastic pollution affects both human health and the environment. Of course, when you have a sense of responsibility, then as Confucius says, “I am not one who was born with knowledge; I love ancient [teaching] and earnestly seek it,” showing that people will have the desire to actively educate themselves and search for a solution through the education of plastic waste. 

In addition, Confucianism also promotes the concept of “ren,” which means kindness, benevolence, and altruism. This idea encourages individuals to act with compassion and to consider the well-being of others. By extending this principle to the environment, individuals can work to reduce their own plastic waste and to promote environmental protection. As explained by Eartheasy, “In our plastic-filled world, avoiding plastic can be pretty challenging. But finding alternatives to common items like plastic bottles and plastic packaging is becoming increasingly easier—and not a moment too soon for our plastic-choked planet.” Some alternatives are using silicone straws, using a reusable grocery shopping bag, using wooden utensils, utilizing glass containers all in the place of the plastic version of these daily-use items.

Another practical way in which Confucianism can help solve the plastic problem is through education and thinking about this problem starting at a young age. Confucianism emphasizes the importance of education, and the teaching of moral and ethical values is a crucial part of the Confucian curriculum. Confucius also states, “He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in danger…” So, by incorporating education about plastic waste and its impact on the environment into school curriculums, individuals can be taught the importance of reducing their plastic use and the impact their actions have on the world. Based on a study by the Environmental Defense Fund, when individuals are educated about the impact of their actions on the environment, they are more likely to reduce their plastic use.

Lastly, another superb way in which Confucianism can help solve the plastic problem is through community engagement. Confucianism emphasizes the importance of community and social harmony and encourages individuals to work together for the greater good. By working together as a community, individuals can help reduce plastic waste and promote group-based environmental protection. A study by the National Geographic Society found that community-based initiatives, such as beach cleanups, have a positive impact on reducing plastic pollution.

In conclusion, Confucianism can help us in solving the United States plastic problem. Its emphasis on moral and ethical values, education, and community engagement provides a strong outline for reducing plastic waste and promoting environmental protection. It’s time for the United States to take responsibility and reduce their plastic waste and to protect the environment and the health for future generations.