Dangers of Global Warming | Teen Ink

Dangers of Global Warming

February 7, 2023
By Anonymous

Global Warming Opinion Piece. 

 

Did you know scientists predict that global warming could wipe out our entire economy? Rising sea levels, higher temperatures, and extreme natural disasters are becoming more dangerous and unpredictable. People don't feel that changes are needed, but I believe the consequences could be severe.


Global warming is the gradual rise in temperature due to increased levels of carbon dioxide. As greenhouse gases, like carbon dioxide, emit into our atmosphere, they are trapped, causing the planet to heat up. 


Having extreme heat temperatures limits the amount of food we produce. Our whole agriculture industry cannot adapt to unforeseen heat circumstances. How can we grow crops if they are constantly dehydrated? A disruption in food availability and quality can make us more prone to disease as we won't be able to eat a balanced diet. 


Living in an American society, I have noticed that we are very consumer-driven. Having very sophisticated systems of technology, manufacturing, and agriculture, the United States of America is one of other largest producers in the world. Since America is so focused on producing goods and economic prosperity, the environment has been put into flames. Even though manufacturing has made us lots of money, it has also emitted loads of carbon dioxide. In fact, according to Joel D Scheraga, a senior economist, “The United States, the Soviet Union, and China account for the largest percentage of carbon dioxide emissions derived from burning fossil fuels.” This shows that we take accountability for global warming and how it's more than just a local problem; it's a global issue. 


Positively, America has developed highly advanced technology like solar energy and electric/hybrid cars. I consider investing in solar panels and electric cars a big step in the right direction regarding limiting climate change. 


I believe that the effects of global warming are significant, and we need to make a change now. Frequent wildfires, long periods of drought, and intense storms are all the results of climate change. Global warming has had such a vast effect on the environment that climate researchers have said that the average global temperature has risen by 0.5C over the past hundred years. We don't realize it at the moment, but in the long run, it has the potential to transform not just our planet, but also our daily lives.


With this being said, we humans must take the initiative to limit global warming to the best of our ability. Instead of driving to school every day, ride a bicycle. Instead of throwing plastic in the trash, recycle it. 


Following the warring states period, a time of violence and warfare, China needed to seek prosperity. Han Feizi, a former Chinese philosopher (280- 233 BC), was part of the Qin dynasty and believed in the idea of legalism; Humans are naturally bad and selfish and need to follow a strict set of rules. 


I believe adopting Han Feizis's ideals can limit global warming and reduce its effects.  For example, the leadership of Han Feizi would allow our society to create policies that help reduce greenhouse emissions. Enforcing strict punishments can make people reduce their carbon footprint and invest in better energy sources. 


Resembling ideals of Legalism, Han Feizi once said, “If penalties are heavy and rewards are few, it means that the superior loves the people, wherefore the people will die for rewards. If rewards are many and penalties are light, it means that the superior does not love the people, wherefore the people will never die for rewards.” This perspective implies that if humans live under pressure and harsh laws, they will work their hardest and put their best effort into their work. In my opinion, in today's society, people live with too much freedom, which causes problems like global warming to worsen.


Overall, Han Feizi enforcing strict laws and punishments that force individuals to use a stable energy source, recycle trash, use a bicycle as transportation, and turn off the lights when needed, will help reduce global warming and ensure a healthy environment. 


As for a solution to global warming, I believe we need to take the initiative right now. We can't wait until the last minute because carbon dioxide emissions keep tallying up day by day. Since we live in a consumer-based society, I understand it's more difficult to eliminate manufacturing or agriculture. Still, we can follow simple acts like investing in solar or walking instead of driving. Most importantly, we all must work together and commit to our actions.


The author's comments:

This piece is about global warming and how Chinese philosophy could be implemented.