Its Our World | Teen Ink

Its Our World

My vision of the future is that once flourishing cities are now dead and gone. The birds no longer chirp. The fish no longer swim. And the humans no longer smile. However I feel the humans don’t deserve to smile. We made this mess. We killed the living trees. We poisoned the air. We took the innocent animals’ homes away, leaving them to die. We dug our own grave.

People should not be able to buy land and simply suck the life out of it if they please. If you adopt a child, are you going to chop off their arms and legs until all that is left is a dead, worthless corpse? The answer is an obvious no; that would be illegal not to mention sick and cruel. Then tell me this. Why do too many people buy a beautiful piece of land just to chop down its trees and mutilate the land? It makes me sick to think that 1.5 acres of trees are murdered every second. Isn’t that also sick and cruel? Shouldn’t that too be illegal? Laws should be made protecting the struggling environment.

Everyday on my way to school, I peer out my window and see the hundreds of cars that go by, fumes leaking from the exhaust pipe and slithering their way up to our air supply. The fumes are taking over our atmosphere. Here, the fumes are poised as the villain and the poor, little, defenseless humans are the victims. No. Who was driving those cars? Who was mercilessly throwing the fumes into the environment? You were. I was. We all were. We all are. It is ridiculous that we all know what were doing but we continue to burn up the ozone and poison the air. Protecting our environment is becoming more and more critical as the days pass.

It is not an uncommon thing to see a frightened little squirrel or chipmunk dart across the street. After all, how else are they to get back to their home (if they still have one)? I feel that this is just as bad, if not worse, as flat out killing them. You cut down the trees they have built their homes into. They are forced to roam hopelessly around searching for a way to survive. All these animals have no place to go anymore and it’s our fault. Way too many different species, such as the red panda, Sumatran tiger, many types of primates and many, many more, have become endangered because of deforestation. So go on buy your teak porch. Go on and destroy the rainforest and its beautiful habitat.

It’s late at night and you’re watching a movie, eating popcorn and drinking soda. You take the last piece of popcorn and then take the last sip of your Coke. You throw away the empty popcorn bag. You are holding the soda can and deciding what to do. It should be recycled, and you know it, but the garbage can is a lot closer and you’re tired. You decide “Hey, one can won’t make that much of a difference.” Yes. It will. There may be laws like the Recycling Enhancing Law, but who enforces those laws? You can just simply toss away any recyclable object into the trash and there is no problem. Our government really needs to crack down on the recycling laws. Our planet is being destroyed by the second. We need to reuse everything we can.

So what does it all come down to? In future, will there still be life? Will the birds chirp and fish swim? I sure hope so. I hope that people like me and you get sense enough to stop this madness and start saving the world, our world. I hope that my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren will smile.

meeshstfu SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

“In the next world, I want to be something useful.
Like a staple gun. Or in love.”
- Bradley Trumpfheller

We sure need more smiling and less crying :)

Weasels101 SILVER, Walnut, California

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”- Maria Robinson
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."- Thomas Edison

I to agree with your article. Keep working towards your dream. One day you might be the insparation to  a world wide phenominum.

dragonbiscuits SILVER, Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"You cannot acheive peace with violence" -several people

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This was wonderful, and your p.o.v. rocks and i totally agree with you! This was written beautifully and I can tell how deeply you feel about this. Great job!