The Path We Should Take for Chocolate | Teen Ink

The Path We Should Take for Chocolate

March 19, 2010
By xixdxex35 BRONZE, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
xixdxex35 BRONZE, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wondered where that new desk you just got came from, or those new Brazilian cherry cabinets in your kitchen? Trees! It doesn’t stop there, a swath of trees the size of Connecticut was cut down last year for space for farms, mining, cattle ranching roads, and buildings. Every minute thousands of trees are being cut down and it’s killing our planet. It’s disturbing to hear that so much life is being lost.

Deforestation is a global concern that everyone should be concerned about. Deforestation is the process of destroying a forest and replacing it with something else. Every second enough trees to fill a football field is being cut down and every minute thirty acres are gone. Which I think is way too much, and that we should reach a point of no deforestation at all. And its not just trees that we are loosing, there is also millions of types of species that are being lost in the process of deforestation.

What would you do if your home was taken away from you? That is exactly what is happening to the millions of species in the rainforests. Deforestation is taking their home and they can’t do anything about it. 2.5 million insects and tens of thousands of animals will all die if we keep taking the rainforests away. Animals like the spider monkey which lives in the canopies of the trees will have no where to go, nothing to eat and eventually will die. Animals should have a chance to live just like us; you wouldn’t want it to happen to you so we should stop taking that chance from them. And chocolate, chocolate will be lost! No more rainforests means no more chocolate, and personally, I don’t want that. The plant that we make chocolate from, the Cacao tree grows in the rainforest, if we take away the rainforest there will be no more chocolate forever!
The animals might not be able to do something about it, but we can. Something that we can and should do to reduce the large amount of deforestation is recycle, by recycling we can reduce the need to cut down so many trees for mining for oil for plastics. When you recycle it breaks down the product and turns it into a new product. You could even use an organic cotton handkerchief, instead of so many tissues, but you may have to wash it. And that is just a couple out of the thousands of ways to reduce the deforestation.

If you believe that we should keep up with deforestation and that we will loose many necessities that will hurt us, you are wrong! Deforestation is killing animals, the planet, and us! Without trees we will die. We need oxygen to breathe and plants give us that, they also take the carbon dioxide from the air, that’s how they make the oxygen. If the earth dies we die as well.
Deforestation in the rainforest gets us many useful items such as lumber, but if we are killing millions of species and the planet is it really worth it? Getting to a point of no deforestation at all will take a long time and lots of money, but if it means saving the animals and the world, that is really worth it. Have people to pay a little extra for research and development to find substitutes for wood, like bamboo flooring. And people probably don’t want the earth to die or to die with it so they won’t mind sacrificing a little to get to that point of no deforestation and saving the world. But before that you can recycle, to save millions of different species, the earth, and the human race!