Recycle! | Teen Ink

Recycle!

December 29, 2010
By Anonymous

Do you care about our planet? Do you care if the Earth does not survive? I do. Everyday, I see trash and bottles along the side of the road. I get to school and I watch the trash barrels at lunch fill up with empty milk, Gatorade, and water bottles. I see people get up during class and through papers they do not want into the trash cans. It is kind of disgusting to watch.
Growing up with a recycle fanatic mother, I have learned to put everything plastic or paper into the recycling basket or suffer being lectured about how I’m destroying the planet if I do not. If you’re not sure, ask about our house motto. Out of habit, during school I put all my empty bottles and trash papers into recycling bins. More people should start to recycle that since we are the next generation and it is up to us to keep planet Earth healthy.
To get more people to recycle, I think Wilmington High School should make a contest out of it. The contest would include having four huge barrels to put empty bottles in. The barrels would be located in the cafeteria and each one will be labeled 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, or 12th grade. Students would put their bottles in the proper barrel according to their grade. The goal would be to collect the most bottles and cans as possible throughout the school year. Every few weeks, the barrels would be emptied and the number of bottles in each barrel would be recorded. There would be a prize at the end of the school year for the grade that collects the most bottles and cans. All the cans will be turned in and the profits will go towards school dances and things like that.
To take it a step further, little bins or barrels could be put in each classroom for those students who finish drinks during the day. To help promote the contest posters would be made and hung all around school to make people aware of the fact that they need to start recycling. Having students recycle will help assure that the planet will last longer. It will create a bright future for us and the generations to follow. Also having this contest at school might encourage students to start recycling at home and tell their relatives and friends outside of school to start too. A sort of chain reaction could occur, more and more people could start to recycle all their paper and plastic products.