Animal Abuse: Should More Be Done? | Teen Ink

Animal Abuse: Should More Be Done?

If you were to see a cold, hungry cat in front of your house, would you feed it or walk away? Most people would walk away instead of taking the time to make sure the cat is okay. The problem is that people generally live busy lives. They already have too much on their plate to deal with some cat they do not even know.
Now here’s another question: If you see a group of kids hitting and abusing an animal, would you stop them? Would you at least call the police? Again people would walk away. Some people do not believe that animal abuse is a big issue. Well guess what? I do.
Everyday animals are abused in their homes or on the streets. It seems as if politicians do nothing to stop this issue. Everyone is worried about education and global warming. What about animals? Just because they cannot talk to us, does not mean that we should ignore them? Animals, like us Americans, have rights. These are the rights that allow animals a place to stay, a shelter if they have a no place to stay, the right to a non-cruel family, the right to not be abused and many other rights. Are we taking away an animal’s right by not giving them a place to stay? Yes, we are. Since I was born, my mother, sister and I have taken in over fifty homeless cats, fed them, cleaned them and gave them to good families. These fifty cats do not include my cat that gave birth to fifteen kittens in two years, all of whom were given to loving families.
There are many organizations that deal with abused animals or animals that have no home like ASPCA, PETA, The Humane Society and many more. Just because there are organizations that deal with this issue, does not mean that we still shouldn’t help. The biggest saying that bothers me is, “I am only one person. I can’t make a difference.” If everyone thought like that, we wouldn’t have the organizations and loving people who help the world everyday. By helping one animal, you are making a difference. Yes, there are millions are animals out there but wouldn’t you feel good inside to know that you helped a living creature in this Earth?

Some of you right now are probably thinking, “Well, there are people in the world who need more help than any old animal.” It’s true. There are people in the world right now that need help but we cannot forget the animals. We are all living in this Earth together, why not help each other?

There are many things you can do right now to help animals around your neighborhood. You can volunteer at your local animal shelter, raise money for animal shelters, inform your community about animal abuse or you can write to your representatives and tell them that animal abuse needs to be taken seriously.

As you walk down the street, try to help any animals you see walking around. You can easily buy a cheap box of dry cat/dog food to feed the animals. If we do not help our animals now, we may never have animals again. Always remember that with every step you take, you help save an animal’s life and isn’t that worth fighting for?”

fatkidssmell said...
fatkidssmell, Toronto, Colorado
i beat my dog every time he poo's on the floor

HI!!! I Dont Like This At All Ill Do It!!

MotherNoose13, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

"Grandmother, what terrible, big, sharp teeth you have!"

The PETA is downright psycho. I did research on them and they do some crazy things there.

i feel the same way. we need to stop this and IMMEADEATLY too.

we should create a petition to congress about this. this cannot go on any longer. who's with me?

anonymous2154, Ormond Beach, Florida
Dear Amanda A.,       I am writing here beacuase I agree with this article you wrote and think it is very interesting.       About 500 animals die every day from being abused, that is 300,000 animals a year. Animal abuse is a very sad and cruel thing that us as people should be trying to stop. We need to start helping the animals that we see roaming the streets and getting hurt so that these numbers will decrease and less animals will die each year.       To help with this problem we should start leaving food out for the stray animals in the neighborhood and leave out some boxes for shelter for them. We should also take the animals to a shelter or a safe home so that they are no longer roaming the streets and possibly in danger.        I thought that your article was inspiring and it really made me think about the way we should treat animals. Sincerely, anonymous2154  

Pagan M. said...
Dear, Amanda A.   I am writing here because I love your article Animal  Abuse: Should more be don’t? I have a strong love for animals and would always help a homeless one.  I believe that we should worry about animal abuse more then we do. I agree with your article I wish people would do more about animal abuse. I understand there are bigger problems in the world but this is not something that we should ignore. It might take time from your life to take in a homeless animal and finding it a good home or even keeping it as your own pet to love. Either way you would get the satisfactory of helping a living creature in need. Sincerely, Pagan M.    

tapsi said...
this is d most effective & touching article i have ever read .. i love animals..!!  even i have 5 pet cats... & those r my best companions...

ELi Arnold said...
Poor animals my blessings go to them and their affected lives 

peaceluvrav BRONZE, Cochranville, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This is exactly how i feel! Animals think and feel as much as we people do, so they deserve to be treated the same.

WintersRevenge PLATINUM, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

"Yay! I love being purple!" ~Patrick Star, Spongebob Squarepants

So true! The best thing to do is to see if the animal is in a stable condition, if you can catch it without bringing harm to you or the animal, have it fed and give it water, give it shots, and then TNR (trap, neuter, release) it. Unless you can find an animal shelter that can promise to not euthanize any animals unless it is humanely necessary.

Skittels said...
I totally agree with this article, If i ever come apon an hurt or homeless animal no matter what I would go and save it. I would risk my life if a animal was in danger. People can make a diffrence, if they just try. Anyway Awsome article its really good.

I truely agree with this!! It is a great article and very interesting. An animal is just like a human and we can't let them be abused and killed!! It is really sad what people do to animals and it is time that people do take a stand!!

alex said...
There is nothing more to make me feel like humanity has lost touch than animals being abused! What have we come to, to treat other living things like dirt. For no reason shall they be mistreated.

CDABC said...
CDABC, Old Tappan, New Jersey
If an animal is unable to survive in the wild, that can mean two things: 1) it has been domesticated to the point where it cannot fend for itself; 2) there are not enough resources in the area for it to live off of. It's basic biology that there are many more offspring produced than will survive due to both density dependent and independent factors, and it's not only unreasonable but pretentious to try and save every single creature we find roaming the outdoors appearing malnourished or disease-stricken. If it cannot survive, then it will not. If it is a cat or a dog for example, then it probably has several other siblings that may survive, and in turn will produce more offspring, keeping the species alive. Believe me, if we're at a point, as you infer, that there are too many animals being abused, then obviously there is no worry for extinction, so long as people aren’t going out purposely killing each of that species that they see. Also, I don't understand why people get all the heat for "mistreating" animals, even if one simply does not acknowledge a starving animal. If you see a coyote tearing apart a cat, do you punish or imprison it? If we neglect stray animals or animals in "need," then they are probably not fit to survive in nature anyway, and the population will drop down eventually to the environment's carrying capacity. It's not a moral issue so much as a practicality issue. Some people just don't have time to take in dozens of lost/stray/sick/hungry animals, and there are even people who hate animals (yes, HATE animals, and trying criticizing them according to your beliefs is again, pretentious). In short, if you love animals and want to care for every one you see, then by all means take in any lost/stray/sick/hungry animal on the street and care for it or give it to a shelter. But do not try to impress this as a "responsibility" among all people, because not everyone lives a life where taking care of animals, let alone stray ones, is practical. The species will continue for as long as it can, and it’s not our duty to interfere in it.

Zachzilla said...
I totally agree with the author's opinion on animal abuse.I think that if more people don't realize the number of animals that are neglected,the problem will just get worse.Animal shelters are packed with abandoned animals and so many don't even make it to the shelter.There should be stricter laws when it comes to animal cruelty,abuse and neglect.We all need to realize that being a pet owner is a huge responcibility and should take it seriously.Pets are members of the family and should be treated with kindness,love and respect.Pet owners who use animals for fights,should never ever ever ever,see the light of day again!

you are so right i saw a kitten beaten and hungry i took her home even though my mother is allergic i was going to give her to the aspca but i feel in love with her and so did my mother so now she has a place to call home and people that love her i love my cat ming lee and i do care about animal abuse of any kind

case said...
the other topics you have listed are just as important as this issue worth debacle the congeress. but never the less, animal abuse is but a misquito, small but extremely irratable and must be dealt with at once! i agree on the topic COMPLETELY

johnyczubek BRONZE, Worcester, Massachusetts
I love animals! I do everything to help them, I'm a vegan :)

So that means, even if i wanted to help a hungry cat outside, i can't help it or bring it home cause my parents would never allow it.