A Changing World | Teen Ink

A Changing World

June 6, 2008
By Anonymous

I am a thirteen year old girl living in a town with a changing environment. We have winter, summer, fall and spring. Some days are hot, some days are cold. Some days it rains, some days there are clear skies. But that is not the only thing in this world that is changing.

As you probably know, our world is changing. Pollution is in the air, ice caps are melting and winters are getting warmer and warmer. All of these things are happening because of global warming.

Many different things cause global warming. Extra human activity causes global warming by adding excessive amounts of greenhouse gases. The more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, the warmer the planet is. No matter how much danger we are in companies are still going to make cars that use a lot of gas. They will still want and need to make money.

The whole world is in danger from global warming. Animals are becoming extinct in the artic. The artic is warming up twice as fast as other places. Polar bears are endangered. Polar bears wait by holes in the ice waiting for seals to pop out. After a seal pops out, the polar bears grasp it to eat it. The ice in the artic is melting. The less ice, the less holes, the less food for polar bears.

Adélie Penguins live on a fish called krill. Global warming is endangering krill. They feed on algae plants that live under ice. Less ice causes less krill for the penguins to eat.
Why should we care? We are next in line. It causes me to worry about my future. After all the ice melts, the sea level will rise, giving us less room to live. Every minute people are born into this world, giving us less and less space.


There are many eco-friendly choices that can be made to slow down global warming. Change your light bulbs to Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CLFs). CLFs are light bulbs that use seventy-five percent less energy than normal ones. Turn-off your cell phones, iPods and computers when you are not using them. This saves energy from batteries and electricity. Walk, bike or carpool to save gas.

Scientists and companies should put more effort into fixing this problem. They should make more hybrid cars. They should make technology friendly to the environment. They should use solar panels as a form of energy. They can help stop this.

Will the world make it? The world might end sooner than we expect. We can stop it if we really try. People don’t realize how serious this problem is. Every little thing counts. Even if you just walk down the road to your friend’s house instead of driving. Even if you just air dry your hair instead of using a blow-dryer. We need to change.