Not All Zoos Are Inhumane | Teen Ink

Not All Zoos Are Inhumane MAG

September 6, 2008
By Anonymous

This piece is a response to “The Modern Zoo” from the May 2008 issue of Teen Ink. I volunteer at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and have gotten to know its keepers, veterinary staff, and other workers. According to the writer of “The Modern Zoo,” staff torture animals, do not provide adequate living space, and keep the animals merely to entertain. In my three years of volunteering, I have never seen, nor had any reason to suspect, any foul play at my zoo. The allegations in “The Modern Zoo” that all zoos are inhumane and cruel is false, I believe.

According to the article in Teen Ink, “Zoos claim to educate visitors. Yet we’ve all seen the one-sentence signs that describe monkeys. What can be learned from this? Certainly not enough to justify ­inhumane captivity.” One-sentence signs are not the end of zoos’ efforts to educate. At my zoo an entire department is devoted to educating the public about conservation of animals and our planet. If zoos didn’t care about education, why would they have this? While exhibits may display signs with brief information, staff work daily at the zoo to educate visitors about conservation and other critical topics.

Some zoo employees visit schools and businesses to educate the public about how to be more responsible with our environment. This department even organizes conservation projects around Ohio, such as the community effort to remove waste from Big Creek. Volunteers spent a day restoring the creek to a more healthy ecosystem. The zoo is also part of a ­national conservation campaign called Year of the Frog, dedicated to saving ­amphibian species from extinction. Zoos put forth tremendous effort to educate people, and to say that they do not is just not true in my experience.

“Zoo animals endure inadequate living conditions with no space,” claims the ­article. It’s not fair to make this generalization. My own zoo, for example, is planning a one-of-a-kind, spacious ­exhibit for its elephants. The exhibit ­encompasses many acres, and will be large enough to support a breeding population. If zoos didn’t care about adequate space for their animals, why would they waste time raising millions of dollars to build this type of exhibit? Also, my zoo cares a lot for its animals; it houses the second oldest hippo in North America and its polar bears are twice the age of those in the wild.

I witnessed a life-saving surgery on a 13-year-old wolf. Veterinarians worked for two hours to save his life. Thirteen is very old for a wolf. Zoos do care for their animals, and do what they can to keep them strong and healthy.

“These animals are simply meant to ­entertain,” claims “The Modern Zoo.” That too is false. At the Cleveland Metro­parks Zoo, animals are never forced to do anything for the sake of visitors’ entertainment. We believe in positive animal/ ­human interaction. Zoo staff never force or coerce an animal due to this policy.

The author of “The Modern Zoo” is ­obviously very passionate in his opinion about zoos. I am also very passionate. I have not written this to personally attack him. Rather, I am simply stating facts. “The Modern Zoo” paints zoos as cruel, inhumane facilities, but it is both unfair and untrue to claim this about all of them. Many have state-of-the-art veterinary ­facilities and work hard to save endangered species.

I hope that readers will see that zoos seek to protect and save endangered species, as well as educate and encourage the public to do the same.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 80 comments.


on Mar. 29 2010 at 5:16 pm
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other
3 articles 0 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

i have to agree with you there, loveofwords. As long as the animals are being treated well, zoos are an excellent concept; they teach the public about animals that most would probably never see otherwise. And it's not like animals in the wild are better off than animals in zoos; zoo animals are guaranteed to get food, whereas animals in the wild must fend for themselves and deal with nature, plus the damage humans are causing ot the earth. Even maltreated zoo animals are probably better off than their wild counterparts.

on Mar. 7 2010 at 12:10 pm
Gradschoolgrl, Boulder, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation are men who want crops without plowing up the ground... Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. -Douglass

You do a really nice job bringing in your own experience volunteering at a zoo so as to bring counter evidence to the article that appeared in the May 2008 issue of Teen Ink. I wonder if it might make your argument stronger if you acknowledged why some might hold this view. What should be done to eliminate inhumane zoos? How might that help humane zoos to flourish?

on Mar. 7 2010 at 7:11 am
LoveOfWords BRONZE, Ascot, Other
4 articles 3 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage

Actually, fish have longer memory spans than that, but I agree with your general point.

on Mar. 7 2010 at 7:10 am
LoveOfWords BRONZE, Ascot, Other
4 articles 3 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage

Living in a habitat that's not natural (by that I mean a zoo incloseure instead of the wild) doesn't mean that the animals are being treated inhumanely. So long as adequate space and the right kinds of conditions are provided, it's perfectly acceptable. Sometimes even better than in the wild. For example, sometimes dolphins will be hurt by boats or fishing nets or other animals. That doesn't happen in zoos, and they're an excellent tool for conservation.

Zoos can be as humane or inhumane as you like. I just don't agree with your asumption that just because they're not in their natural habitat means they're unhappy or mistreated.

on Mar. 5 2010 at 5:37 am
xxhollyxx BRONZE, Perth, Other
1 article 14 photos 58 comments
Some zoo's are better than others. Let's face it. Some keep polar bears when they should be hunting in snow, some keep wolves even though they are pacing around their enclosure (completely bored!) and some should be shut down becasue the animals have such a bad life. But other zoo's are good. They treat their animals with love and consideration. They have bigger cages. They keep animals that could become extinct.

Zoo's are good and bad. The world has "good" and "bad" people in it. The world is a beaautiful place. Is that to say that we shouldnt live here?? That people distroy it?

I don't really know what my point is... or wether im for having zoo's or not. But just remember people pay to go and see these aniamls....

Bamm222 said...
on Feb. 11 2010 at 9:13 am
i dont agree maybe some zoos treat there animals nicely but if you think the had to be inhuman to get there and moving them and just keeping them in there habitat in the zoo so they are ALL INHUMAN!!

on Dec. 31 2009 at 9:50 pm
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana
8 articles 0 photos 236 comments

Favorite Quote:
To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

I don't mean to seem rude, and please forgive me if I do. But it would seem logical to believe that, considering the average memory span for a fish is three to five seconds, most tank-dwelling fish would not aspire to live elsewhere, and those that did would soon forget. Just a thought.

Stina said...
on Dec. 31 2009 at 5:34 am
I agree with you that not all zoos are inhumane and many of the poeple that work for them are simply trying to help animals. I think its great that they save and take care of injured animals... but, animals are simply not meant to live in cages their whole life, have their food "hunted" for them and live a life that goes against their natural instincts. It makes me angry when I am in a pet store and the staff say how they "love" animals so much... if you loved animals, why would you lock them up in a cage? It hurts me so much to see fish living a life inside a tiny tank and so fourth... how would you like to be locked up in a cage? And be able to smell your prey or predator just in the cage next to you. Imagine being a small creature who can smell the wolf or lion around them every day, and be on edge all the time, afraid for your life. I have visited zoos before and it seems to me a place of insane animals who have lost hope and given up, they don't even know what it is to be an animal anymore, to be an elephant, a monkey or a cheetah. I get that some zoos do some good, but for the most part I think zoos are totally unnatural, and simply another way that demonstrates mankinds insane attempts to master Mother Nature: which is of course, impossible.

KellyR GOLD said...
on Oct. 26 2009 at 2:33 pm
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

This article was very well written and I do agree that not all zoos are inhumane. But this article also made me feel you didn't take the the article you read sierously and actualy consider the point they were trying to make. It sounded like you were to conserned with the fact that you disagreed to truely understand what point the other writer was trying to make.

on Oct. 26 2009 at 9:29 am
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado
14 articles 0 photos 279 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

Great article. You represent the facts very well and I agree with you. Granted, there are some zoos that are inhumane, but in the ones I've been to, the animals all seem happy.

on Feb. 15 2009 at 9:25 pm
hootiepippin BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 10 comments
I really want to go see your zoo. It sounds amazing! Also, I agree with SloopyMcCoy. The Life of Pi has a really good part where it explains why zoos are good. It totally convinced me.

monkeywalrus said...
on Jan. 27 2009 at 6:13 pm
I think that both sides of this arguement have a point, but you both took your views out of proportion with your subjects. You guys were far too cheeky!!!

blahblahblah said...
on Jan. 22 2009 at 7:32 pm
I do not think your title fit your main point. You were writing mainly about how the magazine, "Modern Zoo" is wrong.

on Jan. 15 2009 at 4:06 pm
i love life of pi!

SloopyMcCoy said...
on Dec. 16 2008 at 12:57 am
You should totally and compleatly read 'the life of pi!' it is an amazing book. before reading it I had a negative view on zoos and then the author made some important comments and i compleatly changed my mind. READ IT!

beelem12 said...
on Dec. 4 2008 at 6:44 pm
I really appreciate your artical. You seem very passionate about not only if zoo's are cruel to their animals, but also about what you believe in (I really think that's important!) I agree with everything you state in this article. Don't let stereotypes like what the man who wrote "The Modern Zoo" bother you or put you down. Just reading your article I can easily assume that you know what your talking about and that is a very good trait and it shows awesome character! Keep at it and never give up on what you believe in!

on Dec. 4 2008 at 6:43 pm
i thought this was very intertaining and i thought is was a great article

ZooCrew2010 said...
on Sep. 22 2008 at 11:17 pm
Thanks so much, Maribeth, for writing this! If all zoos are like Cleveland Metroparks we can prove the "Modern Zoo" stereotype wrong.

on Sep. 17 2008 at 11:31 pm
You go MaryBeth, I agree 100% with everything you said. If ours zoo didn't care why would they put forth the effort. I can honestly say through teaching others I have learned quite a bit more myself. I think it's wrong that people make assumptions and steriotype what they don't understand because of the actions of certain individuals within said groups. Stand up and speek the truth, don't be biased by ignorance and societal assumptions, GO MARYBETH!!