Symbiosis Forshadows Peace Among Humans | Teen Ink

Symbiosis Forshadows Peace Among Humans

March 19, 2014
By ElizabethPage5 BRONZE, Bourne, Massachusetts
ElizabethPage5 BRONZE, Bourne, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Believe in something larger than yourself"


In the world today, it’s impossible to live a successful, peaceful, and happy life without having to have interactions with other people in the world. As humans, we are coerced to interact, be in contact, and sometimes even collaborate together. It is much easier if us humans just get along. It is every person’s individual choice if they will do this peacefully or negatively. For a happy and peaceful life, people have to friendlily work together and interact, be it the work force, in public, or school. Symbiosis is the interaction between two organisms living in close physical contact. Invertebrate and vertebrate species are studied by scientists and biologists, and they’ve studied the close relationship between some prokaryotes and eukaryotes. This relationship, called symbiosis, foreshadows peace amongst humans by exemplifying the exact behavior in which we should act in order to get along with others.
There are generally three types of symbiosis: Mutualism, where both parasites benefit, Commensalism where one benefits, and Parasitism where it is positive interaction for the parasite negative for the host (very tight relationship). These basically mean that when two parasites or organisms interact, it’s a different outcome every time. One interaction could be positive for one parasite and negative the next time, just like humans meeting with friends. Sometimes it’s easier to get along with others than it is on certain days, where people might just be in a bad mood or may have had a bad day. To understand symbiosis and how it foreshadows human behavior, it’s crucial to see the relationships in symbiosis.
In symbiosis, the parasites basically live side by side next to each other, and decide whether or not they will interact. If they do, it’s any of the three types of symbiosis. For example, oxygen is a toxic gas but is vital to humans. 2.4 billion years ago, life was prokaryotic meaning only single celled organisms existed. This example of bacteria producing oxygen could be a prokaryotic relationship, or a predatory relationship meaning one organism would be the prey item. When bacteria learned how to produce oxygen and live, it had to avoid being caught by the phagocytic prokaryote. This was difficult because it was trying to feed off of the prokaryotes oxygen. Not parasitizing would give an advantage to the bacteria. Reaching a stalemate would give the prokaryote the advantage to defend itself against increasing oxygen levels. This created the basis for multicellular organisms, which is where the foreshadowing comes into play.
Prokaryotic phagocytes and different types of organisms every day are interacting and having different relationships. Though we can’t see it with the naked eye, it happens everywhere all the time, just like humans interacting. It is inevitable for a happy, successful life. Humans must work together, talk, communicate, and if they enjoy each other, they’ll spend time together. This is like symbiosis. If two organisms have what the other needs, they will team up and feed off of each other, giving the other whatever is necessary. This is like friendships in the human race. We naturally tend to choose friends who benefit us, make us happy, or do something for ourselves that we appreciate or enjoy. If everyone studied symbiosis and understood how the process worked, I believe it would truly change their aspects and outlooks on life.

Though peacemaking is a generally understudied field, I think it could have prevented a lot if it were more prominent in studies in the past. This world would not have undergone some of the brutal wars it has, or made enemies with some of the people and cultures it has. If everyone studied not only peacemaking but symbiosis and understood basic relationships, the world would also have a brighter future to prevent some of the negative and violent aspects of getting along with each other. The world is filled with many diverse and fascinating people. It is more than likely that people will not get along and disagree. Life is all that you make it. The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem.


The author's comments:
Symbiosis is not only the interaction between two organisms, its the biological understanding of why humans get along with each other, or why they don't