Meatless Mondays | Teen Ink

Meatless Mondays

May 16, 2014
By LaurenKearney SILVER, Sarafovo, Burgas, Other
LaurenKearney SILVER, Sarafovo, Burgas, Other
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

You wouldn’t believe the difference you could make in this world, simply by eating no meat one day a week. Eating less meat will eliminate animal suffering, reduce your carbon footprint, and of course, benefit your health.

Meatless Mondays is a growing movement across the U.S right now. It’s even being adopted in school cafeterias to aid child obesity. Little steps can bring out big results. And who said meatless meals had to be boring? There are so many delicious foods you can eat that are meat-free, healthy and indeed, tasty!

The Humane League (http://www.thehumaneleague.com/), a Philadelphia-based animal advocacy organization, is currently working on a campaign to add meatless Mondays to all Philadelphia schools. Some districts have already adopted it and it’s going down well with students. Unhealthy processed meats and nutritional meals will be replaced with vegetarian meals including vegetarian chili, black bean burritos and other tasty foods! According to The Monday Campaigns (http://www.mondaycampaigns.org/), the nonprofit organization behind Meatless Monday, “At least 30 countries are now part of the Meatless Monday movement.”

The wonderful thing about meatless Mondays is that it’s easy, ethical and healthy!

The Meatless Monday Campaign say, “Going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.”

If you want to help the environment and eliminate animal suffering, try meatless Mondays. Many people want to change the world. Like most things in life, we want that change to be instant. The most effective way to make a positive change in our world, however, is to make small lifestyle changes, like cutting down on meat and animal products, recycling and, subsequently, influencing others to make these little, but effective, changes.


The author's comments:
Little changes, like having one meatless day a week, can make an enormous difference.