A True Mom | Teen Ink

A True Mom

A True Mom

Mom: the definition of putting someone before themselves. Their kindness and love for others, especially their children, give them the sacred title of a mother. My own mother is the epitome of what a selfless, caring human looks like. When I lost my childhood do, I felt like my whole world was crumbling down. The horrifying day she was taken from her home in that small black car to be cremated, my heart broke every second of the process. Tears ran down my face constantly. My eyes stung with dryness. My mom sat by me on the couch at every moment I needed it. She teaches her children to be strong and to demonstrate your strength through your prominent emotions. She shows us how you can let pain control you, or you can control your pain. Her lessons reveal that no human should have to succumb to the distress of life alone, and instead all humans should face the distress of life with someone strong besides them.

Every human has a scale. When life decided to tip the scale out of our favor, we must balance it out with our own attitude or actions to make life equal or satisfied again. The goal of most is to make their own scale balanced. However, the goal of a mom is to give their children an equal and stable life, and will do anything to do so. My own mom is willing to go above and beyond for her children. When odds are stacked against my sister and me, my mom can take the burdens off one side of our scale and put in on her own and somehow manages to stay healthy herself. The troubles we have can be transferred to our mom despite her own problems she is already dealing with.

Sometimes it seems as though my mom can look and analyze life’s difficulties like they are under a microscope. She understands the struggles that my sister and I are going through. While still allowing us to face difficult decisions and challenges, she always makes sure that our emotional struggles are dealt with and not kept within us because they can build up and explode into a fury of distress. Being independent from a very young age and one of 3 children, my mom had to keep much of her own personal struggles to herself. She never had an outlet to release her frustrations. That’s why she valued the ability to give her children the emotional support that they need. Yes, academics and physical activity is important to her, but she knows that emotional health is just as (if not more) important than mental and physical health. Unloading our worries and concerns onto our mom so they don’t become too emotionally unbearing for my sister and me has tremendously helped us relieve our stress. She sees value in the ability to share the weight of the troubles that can weigh heavy on one’s mind.

My mother is unbelievably strong. She takes the burden on our back and puts it on herself on top of her other problems. She wants us to experience the difficulties in life because they make us stronger, but never wants us to feel like we are going through them alone. The people that a mom cherishes most in her life are her children. When those you love face hardship, your connection drives you to face that hardship right next to them. That responsibility of constantly facing numerous uphill battles is one that takes a toll on someone. However hard that may be, her poise and strength through her children’s hardships and her own amaze me beyond words.

My mother makes those around her feel loved. She can make others feel like they are supported and cared for always. She shows the most honest display of effort to love her family and friends, and does not get shaken by the trials and tribulations of an everyday life with a family. My mom has the innate ability to take energy and care from herself and invest it towards her children in order to balance our lives. With the natural ability to cherish the happiest of moments, salvage the most memorable events, and understand the most difficult circumstances, my mom can present herself as a beautiful soul to everyone around her. One day, I hope to be half of the warm-hearted, empathetic individual that she is.

I wrote this piece for my mother and the countless sacrifices she has made in order to shape me into a strong and kind individual. I thank her for the countless life lessons she has taught me and the endless love I always recieve.