Quick to Love, Quick to Lose | Teen Ink

Quick to Love, Quick to Lose

By emilyjennings221 BRONZE, Atascadero, California
emilyjennings221 BRONZE, Atascadero, California

Science tells us that opposites attract, that our differences are what draw us together. But what love can be found within feuding forces? An energy that draws two like beings towards one another, no matter the circumstances, is truly a rare and cherished love. This certain wild infatuation that can only be seen in two people with the same interests and needs is readily found in Shakespeare’s “The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet.”

Just as men pace themselves faster than women in a track race, Romeo is quicker to fall deeply in love with the endearing and gorgeous maiden he meets at a party. He loses pursuit of Rosaline in a single day, moving his entire life focus to Juliet, climbs a plant wall, nearly falling to his death, and mopes around for days when he cannot see her. On the other hand, Juliet is slow to love and slow to trust. Even when Romeo wore a mask when they first met, she observed him, how he moved, how he held himself, even how he watched her. Juliet looks up to her elders and takes advice from the older and wiser people that surround her, helping her make the best decisions for herself. Whereas Romeo dives headfirst into a pool of unsteady love, not caring what the outcome could potentially be, only craving the attention from a lover.

In this play, Romeo and Juliet share a desperate longing to end the seemingly pointless feud between their two families. The dispute that was started over a petty fight has cost the two opposing sides many lives and friendships, love and peaceful days. Both teenagers fail to see a reason for this fight, and believe that no matter what ones’ surname is,  love will overpower the hate. Even though their families insist upon continuing this ancient altercation, Romeo and Juliet are joined together for all eternity. In Act Two, when Juliet is speaking off her balcony she says, “What’s in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet” (47). No matter what a rose could be called it would always have the same blissful smell, just as no matter what name Romeo went by she would still share the same undying love for him.

Some scientists, philosophers, and even lovers may believe that our differences are what bring us together and make us strong, however, a deep connection cannot be found between two lovers without an initial spark to draw them to each other in the first place. Similarities between two people can be used to work against evil or negative aspects found in day to day life. In the case of Romeo and Juliet, their shared belief that the family feud must come to an end binds them together forever.

This was really enjoyable to write and i liked the topic.