Discrimination Of My Love | Teen Ink

Discrimination Of My Love

By emilija-xo BRONZE, Romford, Other
emilija-xo BRONZE, Romford, Other

"If I could have chosen to be gay or straight I would've chosen to be happy."

I am disgusted with how I am treated as a gay, female, young teen. They say "We've come so far" yet I am bombarded with unfair prejudice, I am seen as a lust-obsessed freak when I am laughing and talking with someone who I love. I am told to stop holding her hand by a GROWN, ADULT TEACHER because it's 'innapropriate' but I look from her smug face to the lockers where a straight couple is making out. I can't do anything though because I am a child and my opinion is invalid and immature. I can't go to the park and go on the swings without older boys shouting out "d***" and "f*****" while people point and snicker at me and my sexuality. People tell me I need to accept myself but how can I do that when other people can't accept me. 

Sometimes you get hopeful and think someone is finally accepting you. Like mum, "I support you but while you're under this roof you will not cut your hair short". Or your peers, "I support you but don't try and hit on me" or "I support you but don't shove it in my face."

We have made progress, yes, but not enough progress. I demand for change and acceptance. I demand for appreciation and I demand to be acknowledged. This is not a phase and this is not a choice. I am gay and this is me. There will be no discrimination of my love. I demand for a better life.