Your Hugs | Teen Ink

Your Hugs

May 27, 2022
By 3vierck GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3vierck GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A simple hug. Human touch. This is something that I never thought I would appreciate so much. As a kid I didn’t really have many friends to hug and my parents were not the touchy type, it was a rarity to see them hug, kiss, or hold hands. Growing up and even recently, I had thought that touch wasn’t so important to me or that I didn’t need anyone else–only myself. My current boyfriend has shown me the importance of a hug. 


His arms wrap around my body squeezing me with just the right amount of pressure. The warmth of his body intertwining with mine. He smells earthy, almost like wood. That smell makes me smile. I look up to see his face and his deep yet bright blue eyes are already looking at me. A hug to feel loved. A hug when I’m sad. A hug when I’m angry. A hug to say I’m sorry. A hug to say goodbye. A hug is a way to let go of your emotions or to make them all much stronger. A hug to feel comfort. A hug to feel peace. A hug with him feels like home. 


The apprehension I have previously felt has turned into longing. In the beginning I thought I knew for sure that my love language was using words to show they love me. I was ok with being alone. Awkward. Uncomfortable. When is this going to end? These were the thoughts I had, with my family, my parents, even my best friend. It has been a long six months of me asking the question, when is this going to end? 


Writing this makes me think of all the hugs in the Subway where we work in the blindspots, in the hallway at school after I told him I’ve had a bad day, and especially in the morning when I see him for the first time at the front of school. His hugs; no matter where I am his hugs always make me feel happy, alive, and more loved than anything else. 


 I think this has made me appreciate the people I have. In life I’m sure there are many things people take for granted, where they live, the food they eat, and the people who love them. But something I have never thought about is taking for granted the touch of a loved one, a stranger even. I think touch is the thing that connects us all in a much deeper way than words ever could. 


I hope this never ends.