To My Future Spouse | Teen Ink

To My Future Spouse

Dear _________ (I'll write your name here once I know who you are)

The first thing you need to know is, never underestimate what you mean to me. By the time you have the occasion to read this, I will have invested a significant portion of my life thinking, planning, anticipating, and, yes, dreaming about our life together. Not just the beginning, the wedding day, but each day until death do we part. Each moment matters – promise you will not forget that.

By the time we marry, we will probably have had a few laughs about who we thought we would wed at ages thirteen, fourteen, fifteen.... But there is always the possibility that we will not be laughing about it. What if I do end up marrying the person I'm thinking about right at this moment, in 2009? You know, I think I would laugh. It IS sort of amusing. However, if I am dead wrong, and “current crush” never becomes “future husband,” I'll be happy to accept that. I will hold out for someone who knows what love means.

What does love mean to you? I've learned that love is commitment to the point of sacrifice. Would you sacrifice for me the things I would sacrifice for you? If love is a choice rather than a feeling, will you love me when I fail to deserve it? Can I do the same for you?

One of my deepest hopes is having children together. Sometimes, when I see little ones walking down the street with their mums and dads, I wonder what ours will look like. In my blue wallet, I keep a list of names written on a piece of paper. I'm excited about someday having the opportunity to explain what each of them means to me, and finally choosing the perfect combination.

Remember, though, that even if we end up without little sprouts or a picket fence or a rose garden, your love will still mean more than the world to me, and I hope mine will mean the same to you. The most beautiful gift I can think of would be the affection of someone who waited for me. I promise I will wait for you so that we will never live in the shadow of trying to forget exes to whom we gave everything.

Take God-given opportunities – you never know which one will bring us together. You have my faith and trust.

I love you,

Your future wife

p.s. If your organizational skills are not stellar, that might be one area you could work on now. Start by getting rid of any weird collections you might have.

shorty16 said...
shorty16, Queens, New York

Love you once,always have,always will

lol this remind me of my life so much

Beautiful13 said...
Beautiful13, Pittsfield, Massachusetts

She Believed Because That's What She Wanted...

This was very touching I understand what you meant and i believe it came from your heart and i have the same hope that one day i can be with one person that i love

Destiny2 said...
Destiny2, Doha, Other

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new". Albert Einstein

THIS IS TRULY AMAZING, something that I believe everyone will want to write as an imitation--including me! I love how you explained your point using details. This letter is very touching and sincere, I can totally reach out for you!

inkblot13 PLATINUM, Auburn, New York

"If I knew where poems came from, I'd go there"

- Michael Langley, 'Staying Alive'

i love this, i've always wanted to write a letter to the guy who'll i marry someday (if i get married). I really liked how you kind of softed it uo at the end with the weird collections thing!

SeptemberCrew BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I'll watch for your work to appear on Teen Ink! If you're interested, you can check out my personal blog -- seeingbeauty.wordpress.com.

edithT100 SILVER, Ridgeville, Other

"Love is like a bar of soap. Once you think you have it, it slips out of your hands <3"

OMG THIS IS AMAZING!!

I'm still waiting for the people who run this website to decide if my writing will go on the website, but if i could do half the job that you did it would be amazing....

Never let anyone put you down cause you've got an amazing talent!!!!!

Luvya4eva said...
this is beautifully written

Jessika said...

I Love Your Story So Much Alot Of Descriotion Lovee Itt!!!!!!

xD

Eleyna said...
Eleyna, Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania
I've wanted to do this for the longest time, but I've never actually done it. It's perfect really. Not because of embellished written or perfect grammar. It's perfect because its real, and honest. I love it!

That's awesome that you plan to share it -- but when you do, please do not claim it as your own work. Thanks!

-N.G. (author)

teetee13 said...
i really love this article iam going to print thiss of and give it to my baby so that he will no how much i love him ily you t.j.s

shes_so_lovely SILVER, Marion, Iowa

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

This really spoke to me...beautiful <3

ViralGirl BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts

"No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books."
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

This is amazing. I almost cried. It's beautiful.

SingleGal SILVER, Huntsville, Arkansas

PEACE LOVE DEATH

Loved it keep writing and please check out my work:-)))

rplove013 said...
rplove013, Burlington, North Carolina

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

This was extremely cute..

It made me think of a guy I have been talking to for a long time.

I loved it..

Keep writing :)

sweet blond said...
i dont agree with u really

Mysteria2000 GOLD, Campbell RIver, Other

My fall will be for you
My love will be in you
If you be the one to cut me
I will bleed forever

That is simply the most beautiful thing i have ever seen written.

Gracious PLATINUM, Go Away, Kansas

"life sucks and then you die, yeah, i should be so lucky"

-Jacob, Twilight

I’m still that girl who falls when she runs, Getting back up, because falling is fun.

love this, its sweet up till the ps. part which is funny, and lightns the mood of the piece. loved it. i would love your opinion on smoe of my work, if you dont mind. keep writing :)-

Efoster said...
Efoster, Quincy, Ohio
I loved reading this! I think it is kinda weird to think about our future husband/wife is out there somewhere walking the earth.

Aginger GOLD said...
Aginger GOLD, Bingen, Washington

"Why are you so busy trying to fit in when you were born to stand out?"

It is great! Funny, serious, touching,and thoughtful. Nice work!