Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

Anabelle BRONZE, Orion, Illinois

\"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.\"
Friedrich Nietzsche

so very true ! in my opinion, adults that say teenagers can't love another in this regard, are denying the teenager this for some personal reason. maybe things ended badly for them in highschool or maybe they never loved anyone in highschool. granted, i think a lot of highschoolers are quick to "fall in love" with multiple people, there are some that realize the true weight the word "love" really has. we, as teenagers, have just as many emotions as adults, and to say we don't love is ridiculous. love isn't one emotion, but rather many wonderful ones. love cannot be defined by an age. you may fall in love when you're sixteen, or when you're thirty. and either way, no one should ever be able to tell you that you don't love the person you're with. 

ELpinkdaisy said...
ELpinkdaisy, Lyon, Other

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” - St. Augustine

To love or not to love?
Well everyone will have a different opinion. I choose to think that there might happen to be love ebtween some teenagers, yet it this "love" will chand and evolve as we mature. Love is a big word, it means so much and so little at the same time. You love your family aswell as your friends. But you feel a different kind of love towards your partner. We are constantly changing and so are our emotions and feelings. these evolve too.

wolfgirl65 said...
wolfgirl65, Dickinson, Texas

" there are two things that are infinate; the universe and human stupidity"

~Einstien

P.S i dont do PDA in school.

wolfgirl65 said...
wolfgirl65, Dickinson, Texas

~Einstien

I would hate to find 'the one' in high school. Apparently at are age genre it's not called love,adults concider it obsession. Thats why teachers dont like the 'PDA' at school. grrrrrrr

icingonthecake BRONZE, Riverside, California
True, true. Some of our parents still view us as the infants they took turns driving to preschool over 13 years ago, and they underestimate both our emotions and capabilities.. So they try intervening and destroying our relationships to hang on to our former selves, because they refuse to come to terms with the people that we are today. Do I make sense? They deny that love exists for us when they know that they are wrong and love exists for everyone because of this. They fear the day when we get enough money to buy our own houses, and they try to delay that as much as possible by treating us like infants -- therefore denying love. It's so unfair!

Lils101 SILVER said...
Lils101 SILVER, San Diego, California

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

I do believe in teenage love but i also think theres a difference between teenage love and marriage love.

Terrica101 said...
Terrica101, Gaffney, South Carolina

"You know what?"

i like ur answer u r right. I believe in teenage love and i think ppl who dont are jealous nd arent open minded at all

MarissaLaGrange BRONZE, Monmouth, Maine

This too shall pass

I believe in Teenage love. I have actually been in a relationship with my lover for 3 years now, and even now it's just like when we first met, he and I have watched eachother grow into adults. And It's just nice to know there are people who don't just instantly dismiss the fact that Teens aren't always "Puppy Love" types.

~*Rissa*~

pumpkinsker said...
pumpkinsker, Farmington, Connecticut

If you love something set it free! If it truly loves you it will come back and if not then it was never yours!

I totally believe that teenage love is real. i feel that love can happen at any age! Last year i fell hard for this one boy and we in love for awhile.....then he met another girl and he went with her! :( But now i found someone else and he is special to me know too! :)

Rhythmsgirl BRONZE, Palmdale, California

"We can't all come and go by bubble." -Elphaba (Wicked)

I totally agree with this teenage love thing! But you (the global you, lol) need to remember that more than 50% of teenage marriages end in divorce within the first five years. It makes one skeptical, you know?

juhneen_6 SILVER, Pellston, Michigan

the only thing we fear is fear its self

I HAVE PLANS. I HAVE PLANS TO MARRY AND I"M ONLY SEVENTEEN BUT I CAN'T BECAUE ITS NOT LEGAL. UGH, YES TEENAGERS FALL IN LOVE. I FELL IN LOVE, HARD FOR THE FIRST TIME WHEN I WAS ONLY THIRTEEN. IT HAPPENS AND IT WILL HAPPEN ALLL THE TIME.

bjmcrank GOLD said...
bjmcrank GOLD, Dayton, Ohio
my english teacher married her highschool sweetheart. around 20% of teens marry there hightschool sweetheart.  i believe in it.

BeYOUtiful_13 BRONZE, Tinley Park, Illinois

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
~Marilyn Monroe

I do believe in teenage love because I am a teenager. But then again I know some of my friends loved their boyfriend but then ended up breaking up with them.They did go threw a lot of depression because they broke up with someone they truely love.

Me myself is in love with this kid but sadly we aren't boyfriend and girlfriend but when you love someone you can feel it in your gut. :)

SoftballismylifeBobo5 SILVER, Byron, New York

those who mind dont matter those who matter dont mind; you will always miss 100% of the shots you dont take; forget the risk take the fall if its what you want its worth it all<3

i do believe in teenage love. i met my boyfriend of 5 months in one of the wierdest ways. I never even knew him, and keep in mind he lives states away, but we talk ever day.

To start i didnt even wanna go to the place i met him that day. There was a big thing going on down at the park by my house and i wanted to go. By my parents forced me to. So i decided that i would like an annoying teenager and not do anything when i got there. BBBBUUUUTTTT my cousin forced me to go swimming, which i didnt want to. i figured oh ill go down there but i wont go swimming. Well, i go swimming. Then we are hanging out on this dock in the middle and my cousin and i figure oh i will just sit here and do nothing. well she gets me talking to this red head girl. and then someone who is back on the concrete shouts her name and asks her if the water is warm and she says yes... lying. it was freezing. so this boy gets in and comes out to the dock. well must be my cousin knows him because they start wrestling and everything and i, well, push them into the water. the life guard says that if someone pushes again we will get kicked out. well, up the ladder climbs the boy and (he plays football) tackled me into the water. he gets kicked out... well, he ended up getting back in and we hung out, and i really liked him at first glance. and then we hung out. turned out he was staying right around the corner from me. we hung out. and when he came back up we hung out some more.

about a week before i met him, i had a dream about a very handsome, brown hair blue eyed boy who said he would give up anything to be with me even though we live so far away. a week later i meet this boy. we talk every day. even though he lives like 5 states away, i strongly believe this is "true love" because had anything been diffrent, we wouldnt have met, we wouldnt have been able to see eachother again... the list goes on. so i think this is one very good example that teen love exists 

xKeli826x BRONZE, Middletown, New York
1 article 1 photo 57 comments
i believe in teenage love. i have experienced it and almost everyone in my family has too. it definetly doesnt always last. most of the time it doesnt, but there are cases where it does. no teenager should keep the idea that they will marry their highschool/middleschool sweetheart, just for the sake of being realistic and easing your  heartbreak in case it comes along. also i do think many teeneagers mistake liking someone a lot for love. not everyone experiences love at a young age, but some will.

deathsongs BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
"If you really wanna know, why not ask him?"

Waaaait nvm. I posted that last one after reading one sentence

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

FINALLY!!! SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!!!

selfconception132, Starkville, Mississippi

Life is a bull,sometimes you just got to grab it by the horns!!!!

I think that teenage love is real, sure because some kids who reach 16 or even younger are alreeady mothers and fathers they get the idea that well because they "thought" they were in love they ended up not using pertection. So there for most people get the idea that teens cant handle love as the baby proves. If you ask me though if those kids who have had a baby  really loved each other they would loved each other enough to think about how a baby would effect there future. You cant just judge teenage love on two kids mistake. that is why i believe in teenage love.

buzzlikebea GOLD, Fitchburg, Wisconsin

Shoot for the moon. For, even if you miss, you'll still land amongst the stars.

I think teenagers still hold onto that ability from childhood to develop an unshaken love for a person.  That's why the first break-up is usually the hardest.  We love our parents; most of us won't admit it, but deep down, there is an unshakable connection we have to the people that gave us life.  I think teenagers still have that power to just give their heart away, like we did as kids.

BeTwEenDrEaMiNGaNdCoMiNGTrUE PLATINUM, Howell, Michigan

“If I speak in the tongues of angels, but have not love, I'm only a resounding noise , If I have the gift of knowledge, And if my faith moves mountains high, But have not love I am nothing… Though I know the One, Who holds the stars in the heavens, In the palm of His hand, If I give all I possess , To the poor and the helpless, I'll still gain nothing, Without love… Love's patient, True love is always kind, Love does not envy, Never brags, it's never proud, Slow to wrath, it keeps no records of wrongs against friends, Love forgives… It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (1 Corinthians 13:1-5,7)
“If the world hates you, remember that it hated Me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.” John 15:18-19
"The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter; and in these the spirit blooms..." ~ George Santayana

I think that teenagers understand love more than anyone, we love with a passion that people lose over time because they are afraid for their heart to be broken again. Teenagers have that fearless quality, the nothing can touch me mind set. I'm one of them and I will always believe in teenage love :D