Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

Khanh SILVER said...
Khanh SILVER, Ho Chi Minh City, Other
Teenage love is mostly mere close friendship. True love is actually when you think that person is the one you'll marry and seriously think about the future with that person. It is only friendship when considering only about the feelings. And teenage love is more about feeling. 

SwimmerChickHP GOLD, Burlington, Massachusetts

"If A is success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is x, y is play, and z is keeping your mouth shut."

I don't think that teenage love is TRUE love.  I think it's simply two people who are very close friends.  But can someone actually define love, and prove that love is something other than a close friendship?

live-love-laugh BRONZE, Asldkjfoi, Connecticut

"Happiness is learning to see beyond the imperfections"

I think teenage love is possible, but that teenage relationships are hard because you change so much so fast in your teenage years, it's hard to stay enough the "same" for your boyfriend/girlfriend and/or still get along with them, etc. 

LisaLovely. BRONZE, Dorchester, Massachusetts
Teenage love is tricky..not that i've ever been in love or maybe I have but its difficult to know if the feelings are real. I agree that teenagers have raging hormones and maybe its just the idea of wanting to be loved? I do believe that it is real but for some people..I think as we grow and mature into adluts love becomes easier to understand..

warrior11 BRONZE, Anadarko, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

nothing ever impossible!

i believe that love has no age, im 17 and i have true love yeah sometimes we fight and yeah sometimes he gets on my nerves but i can't imagine my life without him he's my best friend and our relationship is not just on physical level, but a spiritual and emotional level. true love exists i have no doubts about it

bbygurl21 PLATINUM, Boston, Massachusetts

sticks n stones my brick my bones but words cant

i believe in true love. because me and my boyfriend been together since freshmen year and i am going to sophomore year and he is going to collage next to my school. he wait every morning for me to get ready and hop in the car with him so she can drop me off at school. he even wait for me for 2 hours out side my school just to hold me and kiss me. there where rumours about me he didn't care we are still together. when i have detection he comes in and waits till i come out. he is the love of my eye ill give up everything i have in this world for him. he live next to me every night before i go to sleep he'll call me and tell me good night and kisses me though his window we live next door to one another. i am engaged too him and when i get out of high school i am going to marry him. i don't care if people don't like me. but I'm in love for life. i my be behind but its love that matters to be because i was never loved.

xxzoE SILVER said...
xxzoE SILVER, Ringwood East, Other

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. ~Henry Ward Beecher

i  never used to believe in it but now that I have experienced what I believe is love at a young age i believe in it. But it always boils down to the people involved. Teen love is not sex. Before you say you are in love you have to make sure you know the person. inside out.

all_that_is_left BRONZE, Calgary, Other

true love ended, the day the first person said that they were truely in love. You can never repeat that same love, so it is over; tough! ~unknown

I think what they are seeing is themselves, or something, in the past. Maybe hey just do not want us getting so hurt because we fell in love 'too soon', just like they did way back when. it's silly, but that could be one reason; or they know us well enough (or so they think) that they know it wont work out the way we see it.

fictionlover10 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
I agree with you completely. Adults aren't the only ones who have true loves- in fact, I think it's easier for teens like us to be in love, because we're so filled with hope and happiness and not pulled down by everyday worries like work and bills. Also, I myself am in love and I've heard and seen many others who most definitely are too, so what are the adults seeing that tell us no?

tabithajean GOLD, Post Falls, Idaho

Put it on paper!

My aunt and uncle dated since 7th grade. They are now married with 3 girls. 16, 14, 13. They are happy as can be and I don't think that will ever change. 

My grandma and grandpa were high school sweethearts, she got pregnant when she was 16 and they were married. They had 4 children. And they would still be happily married if he hadn't gotten cancer and died.

My gram, 86, quit highschool when she was 17 to marry my grandad. They are still happily married. 

Personally, I believe love can flourish at any age. It depends on how mature a person is.

beautifuldreamer GOLD, Hanover, Maryland

Teenagers are full of so many hormones (and that's all love is really, a chemical produced by the body) that it's impossible for it not to be love now if it will be later on in life.

A slightly different chemical, or a different love, perhaps

but still love

Autumn5100 PLATINUM, Islamabad, Other

All good things must come to an end.

I for one truly believe the only times I have seen high school sweethearts married and living a happy married life is in movies. As a teenager myself I've been forced to  dis-believe in true love even though I used to think that true love would find me somewhere down the hallway but as time passed by, one moment i was deeply in love with one guy, things didnt go great for us and I thought I couldnt live without him but in reality given 2 months, i was over him. Though, what I now realize is that I'm not about to fall in love anytime soon because right now when I think of love I think of Once upon a times and Happily ever afters and what the truth is that with age I will be able to understand true love but until then what I think to be love is just going to be lust

KatiKat BRONZE said...
KatiKat BRONZE, Middle Of Nowhere, Vermont

The most important thing in life is learning how to laugh just for the sake of laughing! -Me

Teenagers are capable of having emotions. And, after all, love is an emotion. Which would mean that teens would be able to feel it, wouldn't it?

By the way, if anyone would come check out my work, I have some photagraphy  published, and I also have written pieces pending, however long that takes.

all_that_is_left BRONZE, Calgary, Other

True love doesn't have an age limit. It isn't driving a car, or getting to go to a bar for the first time. And there isn't a point in life when you are 'ready' to love. If you feel like you could see this person everyday, for the rest of your life, and tell them that you love them right now,then who, or what, is stopping you?

allyssa BRONZE said...
allyssa BRONZE, Killeen, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I truly believe in teenage love. I don't think there are 'rules' perse because every love is different. When i hear adults explaining what being in love feels like, i can compare so much. I am in highschool and i have never cared about a guy as i do him. Young love has no limits. You just kinda know when you love someone.

CJbutterfly SILVER, Chattahoochee, Florida

\"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game\"

I kinda do kinda not... yeah they might not know excactly what love is but they can at least have the feeling of love. If that makes any sense

jassmine BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
i dont think you should put an age on love. love is love! but... as long as youre at least in highschool. it annoys me when 12 year olds say theyre in love. anyone agree?

I think teen love in real as the sky is blue. Maybe we are not mature enough to have a physical kind of love but i believe in it. Even though I am in high school now and I thought I loved guys who broke my heart, love is out there for everyone and when you find it you cant help what age you are. My parents have been together for 26 years and they are highschool sweethearts, my grandparents have been together 51 years and they meant right after they graduated. So it doesnt matter when you find your true love as long as it is your true love, that all that matters. Teenage love is real, believe me.

JesserFressers PLATINUM, Pevely, Missouri

If you love something, set it free....If it comes back, it was meant to be...If it continues to fly...let it soar...And have faith that God has something better in store...

I am actually in high school now, and i feel like im in love. I mean You wouldn't tell someone your DEEPEST fears if you didn't love them would you? When i hear adults talking about how love feels, it's what i am feeling now. so yes, i believe in teenage love very much so.

Miseltoe GOLD said...
Miseltoe GOLD, Boneville, Georgia

I'm a loser and I love to lose. Each time I lose its different, it teaches me something else... but winning loses its glamour after the first few times. so I love to lose

I fell in love in high school but not the love that most of you have. I believe the loves thats meant to be for you will find you no matter what age. Howeve I don't beieve in a love that happens in a moment or a day or a week. Love developes and maybe in a moment you realize the feeling of love. I never knew I loved someone until they were gone. So I cant say whats worse believing in an imaginary love or letting a real love slip away. If you really love them, love them hard and dont let anyone tell you there version of the truth, when it comes to love.