Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

Mysterioso BRONZE, Still Behind You, New Jersey
Love is whatever you deem it as. You can feel your own interpretation of love at age 15, and another can have a different interpretation and feel it at 37. Whatever that word love means to you is your own choice. It's only when many people believe they have the same interpretation of love, the "you can only love as an adult" is when these lines become skewed.

evrycloudyday7 PLATINUM, Wappingers Falls, New York

"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what counts." Seneca
"I'll just read a book instead. I don't care if we're just friends. I can hang out with myself I'm old enough now to pretend. Bam ba dum ba dum ba dum." kate n

I believe in love. I have never been in love, but in my opinion, it doesn't matter what age you are (teen, adult, old geezer). If you TRULY love someone you cannot help or control that, you simply feel it. So I believe in teen love.

ValerieM SILVER, Colleyville, Texas

“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” -Albert Pine

Has anyone seen Dan in Real Life? There is a whole scene where the teenage kid who is in love with the daughter of Dan, and he gives this speech explaining to the father how love is an ability and not an emotion. Honestly, I don't think you can tell people whether or not they feel a certain way. And sometimes younger children have the ability to love even more than adults. I fell in love when I was sixteen, and a lot of people tried to convince me I didnt when I went away for the summer. They tried convincing me that it was simply a "highschool fake puppy love". I told my boyfriend about it and he got angry, and a few weeks later we split (for other reasons, but he did mention this in his breakup speech)... It wasn't until after I lost him that I realized how real our love was. After crying myself to sleep for weeks, and staring at the toilet wanting to throw up, I saw the depth of love and how much it sucks to lose it. So honestly, I think arguments against mine can be proven false because: A) they have no ways of proving my point to be wrong. B) The people who say that teenagers have never been in love are simply saying that because they have never been in love themselves at this age and C) you can't wake up one morning and be told, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY! YOURE 18! YOURE ALLOWED TO LOVE NOW!" That is rediculous in itself. And if teenagers can't love, stop saying "I love you" to your best friends, and your family. And stop exclaiming how writing is your passion and you "love" it. Because the skeptics believe "love" has an age limit. Anyways I love you guys. hahahaha. :]

xxBlackbeltxx BRONZE, Plainfield, Illinois
I personally think it is possible for teenage love exists. Although it is possible doesn't mean all teenage relationships are true love. What defines love for me is that both people take it seriously instead of going from person to person like others have said. It all depends on how far the two want to go.

Forever13 BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas

i have to many to name.

I have a friend, who in Middle school, We are now in high school, would jump from guy to guy. Every week, heck sometimes everyday, there would be a new guy. Each time she would say "Oh, I love him and he loves me." I wanted to scream that she couldnt even spell love, she doesnt even understand what it means to be loved, let alone to give love.

AmourMica said...
AmourMica, LA HAbra, California

Why would you mean what you say, say what you mean.

Maybe it was love, but you never know because you're not the person. Only you know when you're in love.

TamaraN PLATINUM, Kalispell, Montana
Everyone will have an opinion i used to belive in the fairytale love but now i know that dose not exist i have the kinda love where even when your fighting you just want to kiss them when u don't see them u miss them like crazy.. love is hard to come by yes but don't just not belive it does happen and it will happen =)

khaizhylle said...
i really believe in teenage love.

im 16 but i'm in love in my boyfriend when i'm 15..i really love him more than my life.

i can't afford of loosing him and now, were planning to married soon.

musiclover114 SILVER, Woodstock, Georgia

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

born an original, why die a copy?

I completely believe in teenage love.like Selo the first time i fell in love i was 11 and i still llove him though we're not together anymore.I believe love just happens,no matter how young or old you are.

SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
Oh, cool. Thanks! :)

Selo said...
Teenage love absolutely exists, and I think when you're young, love can have an even stronger vigor because time hasn't yet worn it out. I'm 15 and I've been in love five times (never stopped loving any of them, mind you) - the first time I was 11. I don't think you're ever too young for it to be real. Love is something that can't be judged by sour outsiders, and it's real whether you're 16 or 60.

he is my first and i do know what love is because i'm experiencing it right now... i've dated other ppl and i didn't like them but he's different when i met him i had a feeling... i know this sounds crazy but that's how i feel

ladytrojan GOLD, Millington, Tennessee
if thts ur first boyfriend then u definitely dont no wat luv is. people figure out wat luv is when they date other people and see wat they would want in a person. becuz, before u no wat luv is, u hav to figure out wat luv isnt.

ladytrojan GOLD, Millington, Tennessee
but thts jus it. ur a teenager. i think when we're adults and we look back at the time when we were a teenager ur gonna see tht it wasn't luv. i dont think our minds r capable of it. when sumone marries their high skool sweetheart, i think they'll look back and see tht in high skool, it wasnt really luv, but it did turn into luvas they grew older.

Emily(: BRONZE said...
Emily(: BRONZE, Montclair, Virginia

love is giving someone the power to destroy you...but trusting them not to

yes, i do love my boyfriend now, hes amazing(: i guess i had a bf before cuz i thought i liked them or they were cute,, not rlly cuz i loved them

walter said...
walter, Poteet, Texas

"Whatever happens, happens. Whatever, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Whatever in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn't always happen in chronological order though."

I do and dont blve it. i mean, i do know some adults who are happy but most teen relationships usually dont last very long. I am very conflicted here.

I was not saying I disagree with her views on young love, I was just asking why she has a boyfriend if she doesn't think she loves him. ? :)

I agree. :)

iMegan said...
what every girl feels, i mean. **

iMegan said...
i agree with emily. yes, true love is hard to find at this age because most of us at this age are going through lust. to love, you have to have a mature way of things. a warm feeling and butterflies are not love. it's just what ever girl feels. teen love takes time and some teens do achieve it.